Fram PH3786 vs Motorcraft FL-1995

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running Motorcraft filters on my 7.3 Powertroke ever since I bought it, but after hanging around here and seeing the questionable quality of Purolator and made by Purolator filters I have become skeptical as to whether or not my 1995 is doing the job. Don't see 7.3 filters cut open often as they are so big and most people would rather not waste the time trying to get the beast open.

So what's everyone's opinion on the Fram? I saw a new one cut open in an older thread and liked what I saw, metal end caps, lots of pleats in the media and nice wide open louvers. It was just a simple orange can without the grippy stuff on the dome. I thought the center tube resembled a Baldwin honestly, are these particular filters Baldwin clones perhaps? I can get the 3786 for only a few bucks more than the Motorcraft and it seems to be the most viable option. I'd have never considered using a Fram prior to joining this site, but I've opened my mind to them after seeing good results. I like WIX filters also, but they are about $25 a piece for my 7.3 filter and I think that's a bit much considering the Motorcraft is $10 and the Fram is $13 and I don't see anything that sets the WIX apart from those two physically to make it worth the extra cash.

Is the Fram a good choice or should I go with something else like WIX, Baldwin, or just stay with the Motorcraft? Also, the oil on this truck only gets changed maybe once a year since it doesn't move a whole lot compared to my daily driver.

I have pics of a FL-1995 cut open on my phone and looked really good. Give me some time today and I'll see if I can post it in the UOA diesel engine oils section as I will post a UOA as well.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I have pics of a FL-1995 cut open on my phone and looked really good. Give me some time today and I'll see if I can post it in the UOA diesel engine oils section as I will post a UOA as well.

That would be great, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back