Bulk O rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to buy a box of o-rings to hopefully cover the few random times i need to replace a sensor or part that does not come with one.

I normally try to buy the part with a new o-ring but sometimes we over look it. Last time i had to do it, autozone wanted like $5 for the ring.

Cars that i normally work on are just imports, what would be a decent most complete kit out there for a DIY level?

Seems like i'm normally needing one the size of a nickel for coolant temp sensors and really small ones for other coolant related lines (smaller then a dime).

There is so many out there on ebay, 400 pieces for $10.

O-ring "assortments" are common and cheap - and good to have on hand.

But - - - what material do you need?!?

There's Viton, Nitrile, EPDM, fluorocarbon 9for A/C systems) etc. etc. etc.

I have an assortment of every type on hand, and I still sometimes don't have the right one.
But I can get close enough to make do.

NAPA was cool the last time I needed "one", it was ~50 cents. Doesn't directly answer your question but you could ask them what their grab-bag-box is like.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
NAPA was cool the last time I needed "one", it was ~50 cents. Doesn't directly answer your question but you could ask them what their grab-bag-box is like.
did they pull it from the harbor freight kit? Ours does lol.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: eljefino
did they pull it from the harbor freight kit? Ours does lol.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I have this one which works OK for most applications.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y88BPG

I haven't used any of them in 'mission critical' applications, though, and typically would just order a factory part if I had the time.

Since the ones in that kit are nitrile, they may not stand up to applications where you need fluorocarbon for chemical resistance.

http://www.humphrey-products.com/content/viton-vs-buna-which-seal-for-your-applications

https://www.harborfreight.com/397-piece-metric-o-ring-assortment-67580.html

HF looks to have similiar kit for $8. Good reviews too. Either way i'm going to buy it, knowing one day, the one o-ring i'll need will not be in the kit. Its just how life works.

Is there any difference in quality? Or are they just a cheap commodity? When I needed an odd sized o-ring I found a local rubber manufacturer. I remember the guy saying o-rings were so cheap that it wasn't worth making them here (imported from China IIRC).

Any decent quality kits, SAE and metric kits (382-385 piece)? HF gets poor reviews on sizing and flash.

Go figure.... i needed a O-ring. About the size of fuel injector one but for a plastic coolant line.

Went into Napa.. $1 for it. They pulled from a box VERY similiar to this but with a NAPA paper with part numbers instead of sizing. I needed the 4th on the top row.

Found the kit on ebay for $8. I think i'll be grabbing these.
s-l1600.jpg

Isn't green HNBR? Those dissolve in most things other than refrigerant and refrigerant oil.
At least get black ones.
(I'm not an expert on rubber either, but once I tried cleaning one up with some carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner and it dissolved. Figure it's great for refrigerant but terrible for being in incidental contact with anything around an engine. I keep my green and blue O-rings in a separate place from the black ones.)

Originally Posted By: spackard
Isn't green HNBR?
Most compounds are available in multiple colors; I'm personally accustomed to a hydraulic OEM whose "FPM" (generic term for duPont Viton) are close to that shade of green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back