Real news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Open to ideas, though I know it's a bit of a debatable topic. Looking to easy access online news outlet which reports reliable stories with minimal bias and ideally....the ones which matter.

So tired of not just the overtly biased coverage of all the big names but also the way they seem to focus on distracting issues without the hard hitting behind the scenes events. I know this is asking a lot but in this day of the information superhighway it must be out there?

I'm not sure you can abdicate a brain in this news cycle. Bias has always been in the news, it's just really bad now. You just can't take anything at face value anymore. And it looks like you're trying to find that.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Open to ideas, though I know it's a bit of a debatable topic. Looking to easy access online news outlet which reports reliable stories with minimal bias and ideally....the ones which matter.

So tired of not just the overtly biased coverage of all the big names but also the way they seem to focus on distracting issues without the hard hitting behind the scenes events. I know this is asking a lot but in this day of the information superhighway it must be out there?

All news is bias by the nature of what they decide to report. There was a topic on here a while back talking about the popular "right wing conservative news" cable station and all the other ones. Now-the issue being if you lean to the right or to the left and go to the sources that cater to you-neither side is actually getting the truth.

I supposed your either one or the other. You will gravitate to which is appropriate for your tastes.

You will also get answers to you original post that are bias as well-ACCORDING TO THE LEANINGS OF THOSE THAT RESPOND.

Last edited:
You probably have to read both right or left wing papers and decide for yourself how they've spun the news. I'd give examples, but then that would be getting into politics. But it's really bad now, before they would kinda pretend they were somewhat neutral, but they don't really hide it now with their deliberate spins on both sides.

I was 10 years old when J. F.Kennedy was killed and then I realized the talking heads never said anything important.

BBC News is pretty good for international news.

During WWII it was an offence to listen to the BBC News in Germany. But as it was the most trustworthy news available, a lot of Germans listened to it to find out what was really happening.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
... decide for yourself what makes sense

Oh how little of that people do
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Try drudge then go read msnbc and decide for yourself what makes sense

If you think your getting the truth from either one........your not. Goes back to my original point about reading about what you want to hear. It's the one that makes the most sense to you. Doesn't mean....by any stretch it's the truth.

Last edited:
I wish you luck because I think for many people it can depend on how much you want to agree with yourself along with definitions of reliable. Broadcast news has gotten so bad that personally I'm more interested in content analysis of media than I am the actual news product they deliver. That says something to me.

In reference to what you're looking for on the internet, I think it's generally more fragmented POV sites and those that kowtow to specific issues and groups than something that will just report events and persons in a who, what, where fashion versus having to attribute something to them. Even something like Snopes has been tagged recently as exhibiting more bias and having the related answers incorrect or questionable.

The most respected news outlets in English are The New York Times and the BBC.

I like the BBC as well, they usually give a good overview and background on the bigger issues. Usually what they report about Canada is spot on from what I can tell.

AOL.com was recently rated neutral/ fair/ unbiased. I would have never have thought of them as a news source, and don't use them. Remember them as a dial-up ISP and source of free floppy discs but this may be how they reinvented themselves.

Originally Posted By: buck91

All major newspapers have their big corporate sponsors and cater to those paying their bills and those offering help in the most recent news stories.

I read the USA Today for national news. Local news online is dependent on where you live. (for instance) I hate the Macomb Daily. But I read it for close-to-home info. If I want tri-county area news, I read the Detroit News.

If I desire national USA sports, I open Yahoo Sports or MSN Sports. Local sports I get from the local newspapers. Best weather coverage is Accuweather.

As in the History books, these are written by the victors. News is told from a perspective or objective of observer or broadcaster.

Reuters is pretty good for international stuff.

I can't stand to watch the news anymore. It is all fake and agenda biased. This was made clear when a family member was interviewed by the news on a certain local issue. He went home, saw himself on the local news being interviewed, and they had cut and edited everything he had said to make it look like he was saying something completely different. He couldn't believe it!

I've also noticed that the anchors really have no interest in actual reporting, as they do making a name for themselves and pushing THEIR opinion on you, as if they are someone important.

It doesn't matter if they are interviewing the president, a senator, or someone from a local business. They constantly talk over whoever it is they are interviewing and you never get to hear what that person has to say, whether it is something they agree with or not. That is terrible reporting.

Reuters, AP, and USA Today are pretty straightforwardly factual. BBC is close. NBC is okay.

Wall Street Journal, New York Times, The Hill, and NPR are the next category down. They're more reliable than most outlets when it comes to getting the facts right, but they are somewhat selective in what they report on, and they present it with a bit of a slant. Reading/listening to just one of them will give you a biased picture (especially if you read the opinion pages), so it's best to cross-reference them.

Washington Post is something of an anomaly. It's still reliable for facts, but very very slanted in its presentation, so take it with a bushel of salt; if it's your only news source, you'll end up with a very narrow perspective.

That about does it for the major sources. Pretty much everything else is explicitly agenda-driven. While they often get the facts right, they should not be relied on for facts or analysis. Even the ones that do great investigative work are VERY slanted (Vox and The Intercept are great examples of this). The others are just abject partisan outrage factories. Some of them are straight up clickbait and fake news. If you can approach them with a VERY open mind, they can be good for getting a window into how certain worldviews work. Otherwise, it's best to get your news from other sources.

On TV, the only relatively unbiased major network is CSPAN. Avoid the big TV news networks -- Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc. They are so shamelessly sensationalized and slanted that they're not worth watching. The BBC and NBC are the only possible exceptions. Al Jazeera and RT can be good for getting non-American perspectives, but remember that they are HIGHLY biased and somewhat agenda-driven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back