Renting a car at Las Vegas airport, need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Other points: Don't rent from the airport car rental. It's more expensive. Rent from a location off strip. Get ready to pay for parking at the resorts as well unless you have some sort of "status"."

This. Run a price comparison between airport and non airport rentals. You may be surprised. In Seattle the difference is between 30-40%. Well worth checking out.

Also considering Turo. There's a particular e400 coupe that has my attention
cool.gif

I also like that many of the vehicles have tint all around.
That would really help with the sun this time of year

I'll just add my two cents. Realize its the desert, and its freaking 120 degrees. Wife and I bought a gallon of water for a 3 hour hike in a state park near Las Vegas, and it lasted about an hour. We were awful thirsty, and there were NO stores within like 30-40 miles from where we were. So my suggestion is to bring MORE water, food, sunblock, and supplies than you need. The desert is awfully unforgiving.

i suggest do not book through expedia or other internet search engine.

it is not the same as an airline ticket where the items are fungible and its the same no mstter where you bought it.

when you go with the lowest price, you get what you paid for, usually a long line to pick up your car and eating up your vacation time.

i am not a frequent traveler, that being said i use national most often.
wherever you book, do book directly and preregister sll your info.

you can typically cancel a car reservation if you booked directly, with the other sites if you are not careful some are nonrefundable.

as far as off-airport. you need to be aware that a lot of off airport places only have like 10cars total ready to go. so you may get stuck with what they have.

Last edited:
Stick with the major rental companies. No Fox. Try carrentals.com

Prices in Vegas has gone way up in the past couple years.

I usually book my rental cars through www.holidaycars.com They even show you the price in Canadian dollars too. I just got back from a quick trip to Las Vegas yesterday actually! My wife booked the rental car this time though, not sure what site she used but we rented from Thrifty and ended up just renting for half a day (to drive to Red Rock Canyon) and it cost us only $30 (we could have kept the car for 24 hours for that price if we wanted) We ended up going with the cheapest car though, and when we got to the parking garage we could choose from a Hyundai Accent, Ford Focus, Toyota Yaris or Chevy Spark. We chose the Toyota because it was in a nice bright blue color and all the others were boring colors
smile.gif
It was a fun little car for our journey and it only used $5 worth of gas even though we put close to 80 miles on it. (since gas was $2.50 a gallon, it got us roughly 40 MPG)

I highly suggest taking time during your trip to go to Red Rock Canyon Conservation Area too! It's only about 20 minutes away from Vegas, and has a nice freshly paved road you can drive along in the conservation area with parking areas along the way to get out and see the different areas up close and it has hiking trails if you want to do that too. The drive itself through the park is a lot of fun, it's almost like a little race track
smile.gif
You can do the entire drive, with quick stops, in about 2-3 hours also if you don't do any of the hikes. We went first thing in the morning on Saturday before the heat set in and before the crowds came (the park opens at 8am, they say it gets very busy between 10-2)

Originally Posted By: Patman
I usually book my rental cars through www.holidaycars.com They even show you the price in Canadian dollars too. I just got back from a quick trip to Las Vegas yesterday actually! My wife booked the rental car this time though, not sure what site she used but we rented from Thrifty and ended up just renting for half a day (to drive to Red Rock Canyon) and it cost us only $30 (we could have kept the car for 24 hours for that price if we wanted) We ended up going with the cheapest car though, and when we got to the parking garage we could choose from a Hyundai Accent, Ford Focus, Toyota Yaris or Chevy Spark. We chose the Toyota because it was in a nice bright blue color and all the others were boring colors
smile.gif
It was a fun little car for our journey and it only used $5 worth of gas even though we put close to 80 miles on it. (since gas was $2.50 a gallon, it got us roughly 40 MPG)

I highly suggest taking time during your trip to go to Red Rock Canyon Conservation Area too! It's only about 20 minutes away from Vegas, and has a nice freshly paved road you can drive along in the conservation area with parking areas along the way to get out and see the different areas up close and it has hiking trails if you want to do that too. The drive itself through the park is a lot of fun, it's almost like a little race track
smile.gif
You can do the entire drive, with quick stops, in about 2-3 hours also if you don't do any of the hikes. We went first thing in the morning on Saturday before the heat set in and before the crowds came (the park opens at 8am, they say it gets very busy between 10-2)

this +1. while g.c. is worth seeing once, there is much great scenery within 1 hour of vegas. i respectfully disagree with renting cars from off-site/low-budget agencies. i prefer spending a few bucks more to ensure better support in case of an emergency, same reason i dont fly low-budget airlines. for fast, comfy trip to g.c. i suggest bigger with frosty aircon, a buick lacrosse would be perfect if one could found for rent. today l.v. hit 106f, thank god it is dry heat.

Wow, thanks again for the suggestions guys!
Especially those about the water and putting a white towel on the steering wheel. I knew it was hot, but not THAT hot
cool.gif

Went to vegas twice, rented a camaro convertible once and a neon once.

Stopped at a little mountain/ molehill thing for a hike, left the top down, could see the car from the mountaintop, a 30 minute hike. Mentally pictured someone robbing the car and me just yelling "stop" and them taking off into the desert, LOL.

The Neon had about a 230 mile fuel range which isn't much in empty NV.

Doing a trip out west for 2+ weeks this summer starting in Vegas with the family and I found that Costco had some of the best car rental prices.

However, I must say the last time I went out to Vegas with the "guys" we rented Harley's and cruised the strip, rode out to Red Rocks, and Hoover Dam. Epic ride, we are still talking about it years later.

Just wanted to update this thread.

Went to Vegas, had a great time in Sedona when doing our driving part of the trip.

As for the car? I paid a little extra and ended up with a white Charger with the 5.7 Hemi.
I tell ya, there was nothing more awesome than enjoying the gentle (yet muscular) rumble of the V8!

And in all fairness, driving on various stretches of route 66 wouldn't feel right in anything other than American muscle
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back