Cheap Microfiber Cleaning Cloths

Status
Not open for further replies.
These things work great for cleaning guns. The problem up until now is for the most part they've been too expensive. Now you can get them in bulk packages from places like Harbor Freight, Wal-Mart, and Tractor Supply for really cheap. They are much softer and far more absorbent than shop rags and discarded dish towels, etc. And if you get them too dirty for the washing machine, they clean up really well if you pre soak them for a day in a bucket of soapy water. They're nice as a pad for working on guns as well. I take several with me to the range. And after a long shooting session with auto pistols, revolvers, and the like, I'll wrap the filthy gun in one before I put it back in whatever case I took it in. It keeps the inside of any gun case a lot cleaner. (For some reason the Harbor Freight page won't hot link).

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=microfiber+rags

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Microtex-Platinum-XL-Microfiber-Cleaning-Cloths-15pk/23569849

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc...-8?cm_vc=-10005

Any worn out jeans will do a trick...

what_jeans-manufaktur_do_you_love.jpg

microfiber = modern materials and have the advantages you listed . I still like clean cloth from tee shirts to use for removing excess lube or to use assisting a final lube . I use microfiber towells with solvents and cleaners to remove carbon , old oil , dirt , grit , etc. on frame , rails and exterior areas .

I guess it depends on your cleaning equipmant and how you clean. The two pistols I use are 42/43 glocks. Hose them down with brake cleaner. Blow off with compressed air. Elite Hoppes Foam cleaner a couple swabs/qtips. Call it a day. I do use a lot of microfiber for my vehicles.

I'll check it out..thanks/.

Originally Posted By: Al
I guess it depends on your cleaning equipmant and how you clean. The two pistols I use are 42/43 glocks. Hose them down with brake cleaner. Blow off with compressed air. Elite Hoppes Foam cleaner a couple swabs/qtips. Call it a day. I do use a lot of microfiber for my vehicles.

I'll check it out..thanks/.

Brake Cleaner and Hoppes Foam Cleaner. Call it a day without oil Al?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Brake Cleaner and Hoppes Foam Cleaner. Call it a day without oil Al? [/quote]
I was talking cleaning.
wink.gif
5 drops Hoppes Elite Oil on my glocks..lol.

I've tried Harbor Freight "Microfiber" clothes. They were the least absorbent material I've ever seen. Not just the least absorbent Microfiber. I mean the least absorbent cloth, that could still be called a cloth.

I've had good luck with Amazon Basic Microfiber cloths. One batch had a bunch of lint, but other then that, I find them a good value. There are bigger/thicker Microfiber cloths out there, though.

I have hundreds of used t shirts to get through before I ever need to buy any gun cleaning rags. My wife's company does a lot of volunteer events and she brings home a new shirt from these events about once a month. Yay, a new gun cleaning cloth.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I've tried Harbor Freight "Microfiber" clothes. They were the least absorbent material I've ever seen. Not just the least absorbent Microfiber. I mean the least absorbent cloth, that could still be called a cloth.

Try soaking them in a bucket of very hot water, bleach, and soap. Agitate them several times while they are soaking. Then run them through the heavy duty wash cycle. What happens with a lot of the cheaper Micro Fiber rags, is the factory goes crazy with fabric softener before they package them. This makes them feel really soft to the touch, but it destroys the cloth's absorbency. By getting rid of the fabric softener they permeate the fabric with, it will greatly increase the ability of the cloth to absorb. The only trade off is they will feel less, "soft and fluffy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back