1988 Cadillac brougham - 307 c.u. - UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigt61
If it sits in the garage - or you don't drive it much in the winter, I'd use 10W-40 MaxLife. If it sits outside, 10W-30. The UOA #'s are fine and will probably get a little better as it's used more - those old 307s are hard to kill.

I usually drive it for a good 30 min only on dry days during the winter season.

Originally Posted By: Garak
A 5w-30 is fine. I don't know about the 5w-20, though. That wasn't their best choice. For an engine of that vintage, your VWB will be more than sufficient. If you want something "thicker," remember that a 10w-30 ILSAC isn't really the answer. Of course, it's suitable, but as always, watch climate conditions.

That is exactly what I am planning to keep doing.

The question is should I do another oil analysis after 5k or more than that?

Although Blackstone lab. recommended do another test after 3k miles.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
If it sits in the garage - or you don't drive it much in the winter, I'd use 10W-40 MaxLife. If it sits outside, 10W-30. The UOA #'s are fine and will probably get a little better as it's used more - those old 307s are hard to kill.

How about 5w30 for all seasons?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: momo
That is exactly what I am planning to keep doing.

The question is should I do another oil analysis after 5k or more than that?

To make it worthwhile, and at least start a trend with an appropriate lube in there, I'd run a couple 5K intervals with the lube of your choice, and then maybe send a sample out for analysis. Otherwise, you're not going to get any trending, already having had a weird lubricant in there and some oddball numbers. There's no reason to enhance the worry.

Originally Posted By: momo
How about 5w30 for all seasons?

If it were me, I'd use that all year. If you want something thicker, there are other 5w-30 or 5w-40 options you could use, but I wouldn't be switching around from season to season, especially if you're looking to do UOAs, either regularly or simply on occasion.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with VWB 5w-30 in that unit all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back