Widows Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about that one but I started trying Avira (free version) after a high recommendation by a respected professional IT guy.

I haven't used it in years. it was ok back then but, limited. I use the free version of Avast! and Malwarebytes. Avira or Avast! would be my suggestion.

Is Microsoft still supporting that with updates? I thought it was replaced with Windows Defender when Windows 8 came out several years ago.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Is Microsoft still supporting that with updates? I thought it was replaced with Windows Defender when Windows 8 came out several years ago.

Yes, it still gets updates on 7, however it is horrifically ineffective.

MSEFail.jpg

ESETResults.jpg

Avira free, Zone Alarm free, AVG free or Panda free are 'tops' currently. Not a fan of Avast free.

When The Windows 10 Creators Update is up & running for everyone, Windows Defender will be much better than it is currently.

Last edited:
I've had Avast let in a virus on a memory stick so I got rid of it for Panda. I did use Windows Essential for a very short period of time until I found a website that ranks anti virus programs and it ranked Essential very low. At this point my software configuration is Comodo firewall with Panda anti virus. I also have malewarebytes installed as a backup to Panda but it hasn't found anything in a long time.

Last edited:
bitdefender free and avira free are the two best out there right now. If you want simplicity and no interaction, bitdefender is the pick. It also fully protected everyone from the latest mega viruses.

Originally Posted By: deanm11

I'm not sure about that one but I started trying Avira (free version) after a high recommendation by a respected professional IT guy.

There are a few good YouTube videos on top performing anti-virus programs. I went with Avira free as well. Avast free was highly recommended, but I had already tried that program a few years back and it was up there with one the most annoying programs to have ever been installed on my computer. Pop-ups, voice notifications, etc., yuck!

I took advice to NOT rely on Window Essentials and downloaded McAfee. I was using that paid version of McAfee on my main desktop and didn't realize I could add it to my cell and Laptop without an additional charge. Thanks to all who responded. Ed

MSE certainly had its issues. Windows Defender on W10 is good enough now for most users. If you frequent or are downloading from a lot of dodgy sites then you may want stronger options.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
WTHDTM?

I assume this is a reference to my post.

Simply put, it is produced by Microsoft.

They cannot produce an operating system that protects itself from compromise; why could their free add-on product do it?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: Eddie
WTHDTM?

I assume this is a reference to my post.

Simply put, it is produced by Microsoft.

They cannot produce an operating system that protects itself from compromise; why could their free add-on product do it?

It's easy to knock Microsoft, but...

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability...nux-Kernel.html

Anything produced by humans is open to compromise. Let's not pretend this is a Microsoft-only problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back