Purolator Boss- very disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louvers don't look bad at all but, man that filter is DIRTY
shocked.gif

How many miles are on those filters. They look pretty well shagged, but don’t think the filter(s) was to blame.

Last edited:
It looks like there is some gap between the pleats... as long as they aren't touching (which might reduce the effective surface area of the filter), it should be fine.

Louvers in this picture are fine, but the fact that there's such a wide range in how fully open they are from filter to filter points to a quality control issue. The torn ADBV is another disappointment, even though it most likely was still functional. This is not the first Purolator filter to have this issue, and is a big disappointment in what is supposed to be a high end filter.

I just hope WIX doesn't go down the same path as Purolator since they're also owned by MANN+HUMMEL.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
How many miles are on those filters. They look pretty well shagged, but don’t think the filter(s) was to blame.

The mileage is around 7,500 for the filters. My brother changes his oil around 7,500 miles. He got busy, and I think the first filter has closer to 8,000 miles on it

Originally Posted By: funflyer
shocked.gif

I was thinking that too. He used Seafoam Spray down the air intake a couple of times, along with using Seafoam in the fuel. Wonder if that had anything to do with it.

I cut further into the filter with the tighter louvers. You can see them better now. The louvers facing the top of the filter look good. The ones facing the baseplate is where some of them are not open fully. Here are the pictures.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Originally Posted By: funflyer
shocked.gif

I was thinking that too. He used Seafoam Spray down the air intake a couple of times, along with using Seafoam in the fuel. Wonder if that had anything to do with it.

If you are referring to all the crud on the base of the filter, I did that when I cut open the filter.

I have cut a few of the Puro louver filtes and found it is common for 1 side to not have large louvers and the other side does. Not sure if it is the stamping machine or what.

I do agree with the others, pleat spacing is fine with the wire backing. They can be close because they will not move. Seems to be a different media than the Fram Ultra that does wide pleat spacing.

The ADV, that is a common thing to see on them. As said, not sure if it affects filtering or not, but not good to see.

I don't think there's anything wrong with those filter medias or center tubes. Without a used oil analysis or any other real evidence, we are just speculating from the photos. I did not see that anyone in this thread is a lubricants or filtration engineer and could identify a serious issue from the photos. I could be wrong.

However, the cracked ADBV is an issue. Even if the engine has the oil filter in vertical top mount position, the valve should be intact. Maybe a fluke on that one valve. Hard to say.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
You should change your oil more often. Nasty.

These are from my brother's car. I have talked with him a few times about changing it more often. Being an older car, I figure it probably has more blow-by anyway. His response is that is why he uses better oil, so he can run it longer.
We buy our oil on sale sometimes and use rebates, so, I tell him that it really doesn't cost that much to change the oil.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
njohnson good pics there. I don't see any issues.

You don't see the cuts in the ADBV ? Those cuts are caused by burrs on the inlet holes of the base plate.

Has he changed his air filter lately or is the engine just that dirty? Year, make, model and engine? Is it a known sludger? That is one nasty filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back