Mobil 1 0W-20 HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may not be news to any of you, but I saw Mobil 1 0W-20 High Mileage in 5QT jugs at Wal Mart over the weekend. That was a new product to my eyes.

I was pondering it a bit. My 2012 Mazda3 crossed the 75,000 mile mark a couple of weeks ago.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
With 172 VI at that price - I don't find it funny ...

My Wal Marts stopped carrying it 2 weeks after having a small display of it. I'll stick with M1 5w30
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I still find the idea of a HM 0W-20 funny.

Same here, we don't really have HM oils in Australia, people just step it up a grade as the car ages. Job Done.

However I'm sure it's a good oil, and you could happily run it in your car from new.

I sure wish I was the marketing guy that invented High Mileage oil ( just add a pinch more seal conditioner, a touch extra VII if you have some, and a big new label, then chose a magic number when you want people to start buying it). My fee? Just give me 0.1 cent for every qt of HM oil sold.

I used to be more of a believer in HM oils (with personal success at slowing leaks) before the bulk of them switched over to SN/GF-5. To make matters worse, HM oils specials are a lot less common than they were in the past. So, you'll usually see a conventional on special, and a synthetic on special, and then the HM version being more than the synthetic because it got left out.

I can't remember the last time I saw MaxLife on special. It's to the point up here that it's really not affordable. It's over $30 a jug, and SynPower goes cheaper every once in a while, and Valvoline conventional goes much, much, much cheaper on occasion.

You give me a HM oil that is thicker than a standard oil (so not a resource conserving GF-5 oil), and that has elevated zinc levels (so forced to be API SL) but still SN or ACEA in overall quality, and I'll be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Add a extra squirt of seal conditioner if it makes you happy.

I also think the notion of a HM 20 grade is rather silly. The best HM 20 grades are sitting on the shelf cleverly disguised under the label "5w30".

I am with Garak not many real "HM" oils left, Pennzoil and Castrol are notable hold outs and for syn M1 although it is thinner than it used to be too.

Yes - I'm sure some do little to call it HM - but you have correctly pointed out that M1 10w30 HM is stronger than its 5w30 brother - XOM and other majors have a wide range of base oils to blend - and own additive companies - so easy to make it stronger without going up to a 40 ... something like BrocL's comment on T6 being a '35' ...
Our market has a crazy number of choices - but we are very close to where they are made and some of them are based.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I also think the notion of a HM 20 grade is rather silly. The best HM 20 grades are sitting on the shelf cleverly disguised under the label "5w30".

I am with Garak not many real "HM" oils left, Pennzoil and Castrol are notable hold outs and for syn M1 although it is thinner than it used to be too.

The Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W-20 reduced the burning in my car compared to the bulk 5W-20 that was in it when I purchased it. It may be a placebo effect, but the CEL used to be on for the catalytic converter as well and since it hasn't been burning as much, the light has been going off and staying off. I've noticed that high mileage oils really do seem to help with leaking seals in a lot of cases, too, which is one of the reasons why I also tend to prefer them.

Originally Posted By: SR5
You give me a HM oil that is thicker than a standard oil (so not a resource conserving GF-5 oil), and that has elevated zinc levels (so forced to be API SL) but still SN or ACEA in overall quality, and I'll be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Add a extra squirt of seal conditioner if it makes you happy.

Yes. Unfortunately, they're mostly gone.
wink.gif
So, it's back to the old method of jumping a grade or grabbing an HDEO.

As it stands, I would find it difficult to pay a premium for an oil that leaks out just as fast as the conventional counterpart. That's what I disliked about Mobil Super 2000 up here. It leaked as bad as the conventional, but at a premium price. At least the MaxLife slowed things. How it would have fared with today's formulation, I'd never know.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I was pondering it a bit. My 2012 Mazda3 crossed the 75,000 mile mark a couple of weeks ago.

IMO....No need for a HM oil....unless you have excessive leakage or oil burning. My vehicle has over 145k on it, and does not use or drip a drop of oil (I check it once a month or so).

I would call that successful marketing by the oil companies when they convince consumers to buy HM oil because they have over 75k on the odometer. Oregoonian is right. There is no need if there are no leaks or burning.

I bought it simply because it was about $3 cheaper than the other Mobil 1 0w20. If it helps prolong the life of the seals in my 2008, great. I doubt the car burns any oil, but time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back