RIP Roger Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
When I hear the name I envision an AMC Hornet doing a loop de loop,and a Mustang up on 2 wheels in an alleyway.
Yea,the Mustang was Sean Connery...but those are my 2 memories of Bond.

Originally Posted By: Garak
He was my favorite bond, mostly because his movies were out when I was a kid. It's sad news. I picked up a few Roger Moore 007 movies over Christmas at a nice price. Tonight might be the time to watch one.

Sad news indeed.

Roger Moore was also my favorite Bond. I really liked For Your Eyes Only and A View to a Kill.

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
My favorite Bond.

Many years ago, I had a brief chat with him in London. We were there on our honeymoon, my Wife had caught an awful cold in Ireland, and I was walking to a drug store late one evening. I was near St. James Square and these two couples in formal wear were walking towards me when I recognized the booming voice from this tall and very, very distinguished gentlemen. He had a presence. He saw me looking at him and the conversation was (as best I remember):

Mr. Moore, smiling: "Yes, I am who you think I am."

Me: "Good evening Mr. Moore"

Mr. Moore: "A Yank, what brings you to London?"

Me: "We are on our honeymoon"

Mr. Moore: "...don't you have something better to do then be walking here?...Go!"

They all walked on laughing.

He will be missed.

w

What a wonderful story; thank you for sharing it.

2878577349_87e7bb7f5f.jpg

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Originally Posted By: Garak
He was my favorite bond, mostly because his movies were out when I was a kid. It's sad news. I picked up a few Roger Moore 007 movies over Christmas at a nice price. Tonight might be the time to watch one.

Sad news indeed.

Roger Moore was also my favorite Bond. I really liked For Your Eyes Only and A View to a Kill.

Coincidentally, those were the two movies I picked up over Christmas. I already had Octopussy, which I believe was my first Blu-Ray.

L_Sludger: Ahh, yes, a rare photo of Sean Connery, signed by Roger Moore. It is worth $150.

Originally Posted By: wemay
He was the last Bond i ever paid attention to. Sean and Roger are the only true 007s in my book.

+1

I always had the impression he enjoyed his life and his work, and never took himself too seriously. So what if he never won an Oscar? He worked steadily in a cutthroat business for 50-odd years, was a household name (at least when he played Bond), and kept his sense of humor about it all.

Beau Maverick, Simon Templar, James Bond, and more. Good resume for any actor. And he truly embodied The Saint, "the Robin Hood of crime," as Charteris pictured him, I think -- something nobody has been able to do since.

I hope I look half as good as he did when I'm 89.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I always had the impression he enjoyed his life and his work, and never took himself too seriously. So what if he never won an Oscar? He worked steadily in a cutthroat business for 50-odd years, was a household name (at least when he played Bond), and kept his sense of humor about it all.

Beau Maverick, Simon Templar, James Bond, and more. Good resume for any actor. And he truly embodied The Saint, "the Robin Hood of crime," as Charteris pictured him, I think -- something nobody has been able to do since.

I hope I look half as good as he did when I'm 89.

Yes!

who needs divas when we have Good folk like Sir Roger Moore in the acting business.

I like this anecdote, didn't cost him money, didn't hurt anyone but he made a lasting impression with just the littlest bit of effort:

Jetronic, love the stories you quoted. Nowadays a celebrity either wouldn't be as gracious, or if he was, he'd have his publicist make a big deal about it. Clearly Mr. Moore was a gentleman.

I hereby add him to my list of People to Look Up When I Get to Heaven (along with Robert Vaughn, Robert Culp, et al.), as I'm sure they'll have GREAT stories to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back