New Mobil oil....M1 Annual Protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Yea, sorry for bumping an old thread. I searched a little harder and found a thread with more info than this one.

What's totally crazy; is my neighbor was at Wal Mart I go to all the time and he got a jug of this M1 AP 5w30 for $12.00!

Showed me his receipt too, said all that was left after he nabbed the jug was AP 5w20, so no it won't sell well as shelf area for it is tiny

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Yea, sorry for bumping an old thread. I searched a little harder and found a thread with more info than this one.

What's totally crazy; is my neighbor was at Wal Mart I go to all the time and he got a jug of this M1 AP 5w30 for $12.00!

Showed me his receipt too, said all that was left after he nabbed the jug was AP 5w20, so no it won't sell well as shelf area for it is tiny

I check the oil section in my local Super Walmart once a month or so and this is the first time I've seen it. I'll have to keep an eye out for it to go on clearance. My next oil change for both cars is due within the next couple of months, so... fingers crossed.

I was contemplating trying this annual oil. The only thing which bugged me about it was that they don't guarantee it for 20k if your car is still under warranty. The only reason to use this oil is go 20k miles to oil change, thereby reducing the frequency of oil changes and cost. It is also only cost effective of you put lost of miles on your vehicle.

Having a car still under warranty, I wanted to use oil like this to keep from having frequent oil changes.

Because M1 did not stand behind it. I chose an oil company that would. Amsoil is the only oil I found that offered warranty secure.

guarantee.aspx

Last edited:
I am sure Mobil 1 will work just fine, even in a car under warranty. The fact they won't stand behind it for cars under warranty says something about them.

Originally Posted By: Nolefan
I am sure Mobil 1 will work just fine, even in a car under warranty. The fact they won't stand behind it for cars under warranty says something about them.

No it doesn't. Only a fool would advise someone to violate a vehicle warranty, especially increasing the OCI to 20K. Will the new M1 be good for 20K? Yep. Will I do 20K OCIs? Nope. My normal has been 10K for 39 years.

Last edited:
So, I was in my local WalMart this evening. Here's a snapshot of the oil shelf:

So far, not too bad. The Annual Protection hasn't sold nearly as well as the other Mobil oils.
Then, I saw this on the end of an aisle:

Hmmm... Not selling too well. Finally, I saw:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that my local WalMart is having trouble unloading Mobil 1 Annual Protection.

WM looks to be increasing visibility with the stand alone displays plus eye level shelf position which is favored by vendors. The question is, is this Mobil pushing WM or WM trying to sell more M1AP?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
WM looks to be increasing visibility with the stand alone displays plus eye level shelf position which is favored by vendors. The question is, is this Mobil pushing WM or WM trying to sell more M1AP?

In the world of retailing, manufacturers PAY for product placement. If it is on a shelf, it is called a "slotting allowance" for a prime location, or additional product space. If you want an end cap display or island (pallet) display, again, you pay for it. This is mostly with national and regional chains. Store managers have little to no control on product layouts or displays, it is all dictated at the corporate level. It's been this way for over 30 years.

All those spots at the checkout with gum, candy, batteries, beef jerky and Carmex? Every single one of those pegs is paid for by the manufacturer to have their product displayed there.

Then that means Mobil is pushing for visibility. Maybe early sales numbers were not up to expectations? We may never know. Between manufacturers warranties and the price of the product, this makes this a very small niche product. Maybe some day when manufacturers extend the oci out then it might become feasible.

Originally Posted By: kohnen
So, I was in my local WalMart this evening. Here's a snapshot of the oil shelf:

So far, not too bad. The Annual Protection hasn't sold nearly as well as the other Mobil oils.
Then, I saw this on the end of an aisle:

Hmmm... Not selling too well. Finally, I saw:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that my local WalMart is having trouble unloading Mobil 1 Annual Protection.

From the looks of it AP is helping to sell the lower priced products. WMT would be the worst place a mfg. could pick to sell a higher priced item like this oil. I give it less than a year, and they'll be blowing it out on a closeout.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

From the looks of it AP is helping to sell the lower priced products. WMT would be the worst place a mfg. could pick to sell a higher priced item like this oil. I give it less than a year, and they'll be blowing it out on a closeout.

Probably not close out but at a much more reasonable price, say no more than $5 over the EP price or Mobil will take the unsold oil back from Walmart. Is the AP oil sold anywhere else than at Walmart and if so, what's the price?

Whimsey

Yep. This is like I have said before that this is like new Coke debut in 1985... This was stupid from the word go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Probably not close out but at a much more reasonable price, say no more than $5 over the EP price or Mobil will take the unsold oil back from Walmart. Is the AP oil sold anywhere else than at Walmart and if so, what's the price?

Whimsey

I think at $34.99 it would sell. The question is will XOM wholesale it so it can sell that low, or admit they made a mistake, blow it out and be done with it? Or does it become an oil that can only be bought online at WMT like PU, and hit or miss at best?

Whimsey

I think at $34.99 it would sell. The question is will XOM wholesale it so it can sell that low, or admit they made a mistake, blow it out and be done with it? Or does it become an oil that can only be bought online at WMT like PU, and hit or miss at best?

I do think Mobil 1 priced this oil too high, heavens sake I see more M1 EP selling better
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: car51

Whimsey

I do think Mobil 1 priced this oil too high, heavens sake I see more M1 EP selling better
wink.gif

At their normal WalMart Prices:

5 bucks more for 5,000 miles more? Yup. (M1EP)
20 bucks more for another 5,000 miles more? Nope. (M1AP)

When M1EP is on sale at WalMart:

0 bucks for 5,000 miles more? No Brainer! (M1EP)
25 bucks for another 5,000 miles more? Nope, nopitty nope nope NO! (M1AP)

The thing is, XOM could not have had any focus groups during their pre-marketing research! I can't imagine a bunch of folks around a table saying "Yeah, double the price for only 1/3 longer life? Sounds real good to me!" Maybe a 3-inch high Kevin Harvick got them all hot under the collar.

The main selling point of AMSOIL is that you skip one extra oil change, and that justifies the price bump. I don't see why Mobil couldn't do the same...
I drive a lot and could use it easily in some of my vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back