Civic Hatch 1.5T FF UAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, that's ugly. So I brought the car to dealership today for recall work and spoke with the shop foreman about oil dilution issue. He said I'm the first one with this issue. We agreed I keep monitoring it for now and if the issue is still present they will start a case with Honda, do the oil change and monitor every 1K on the dipstick. At least the guy was interested and willing to help. So far I got 400miles on the fresh oil and level has not changed...

It's a 1.5 liter motor that has the characteristics of a larger displacement motor. There is no "top end rush"from the turbo just a fat torque curve in the middle. That's what makes them easy to drive. Here is my crackpot theory. Give it full throttle occasionally for a few seconds. You will sacrifice a thimblefull of fuel and relieve some pressure coming through your rearview from drivers behind you.
If I have offended, I apologize in advance.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Ugh, that's ugly. So I brought the car to dealership today for recall work and spoke with the shop foreman about oil dilution issue. He said I'm the first one with this issue. We agreed I keep monitoring it for now and if the issue is still present they will start a case with Honda, do the oil change and monitor every 1K on the dipstick. At least the guy was interested and willing to help. So far I got 400miles on the fresh oil and level has not changed...

I had the same dealer response (first report) and level of interest with this problem in a different DI Honda. Until, at least, Honda corporate told them in no uncertain terms they were not to spend any more time investigating the issue. Hope your experience is different but it seems that, unless you have an illuminated CEL, Honda will say nothing's wrong and drop the issue.

here's a email i sent to the service manager, he agreed to monitor it this winter..I don't see this as repairable but the rising crank case fluid level got his attention where the UOA was dismissed as subjective...

'As your aware I’m very concerned that fuel continues to contaminate my engine oil raising the level well beyond full, after consulting my owner’s manual on how to check oil I see two profound caution flags on over filling the crankcase pages 487 & 489 (attached .pdfs) my question is: Knowing in my case that fuel dilution is taking the oil level not only above the ‘full mark’ but well beyond the orange plastic measuring surface how can this excessive level be dismissed as o.k. when the manual clearly states overfilling can result in leaks and engine damage? And why would you not take steps to correct the problem prior to my investment being compromised?

Bloody [censored]....I can't believe I bought a car that is not flawless...weeks spent searching for the car and still got one with stupid fuel dilution issue.....
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

just kidding. I guess just need to live with this and change oil every month. Sweet

Bloody [censored]....I can't believe I bought a car that is not flawless...weeks spent searching for the car and still got one with stupid fuel dilution issue.....

just kidding. I guess just need to live with this and change oil every month. Sweet

The only good news is that is will be Honda's volume engine in North America, seeing service in the Civic, CRV and, presumably, the 2018 Accord. With the better part of a million 1.5T egines being pumped out every year is seems safe to assume 1) patterns of premature failure or durability issues should become evident to Honda sooner rather than later and 2) if 1) happens Honda will almost have to step in with TSBs, extended warranties, etc. to preserve its reputation, as these models are pretty much the franchise. But it does make one wonder...

driving a ticking bomb doesn't make me feel good. I just got rid of Focus with [censored] DCT switching to manual and reliable honda but looks like another miss. lol
no wining, still love the car

ahh.. good to look at?

it's a nice package if the engine stays together, lubrication will be critical.

Just drive the thing, who knows if you will ever have a mechanical issue with the car. Given how new this motor if this becomes a common issue Honda will certainly issue a TSB to correct the issue with the dilution. It does not necessarily mean the car is going to fall apart or blow up. Until there is a real mechanical issue there is no issue. Don't lose to much sleep over it. Go to a thicker oil and change more frequently and you will be fine.

19.gif

Originally Posted By: Swifty
Just drive the thing, who knows if you will ever have a mechanical issue with the car. Given how new this motor if this becomes a common issue Honda will certainly issue a TSB to correct the issue with the dilution. It does not necessarily mean the car is going to fall apart or blow up. Until there is a real mechanical issue there is no issue. Don't lose to much sleep over it. Go to a thicker oil and change more frequently and you will be fine.

19.gif

Agreed. I would use a 5W-30/0W-30 synthetic oil and change it about every 6-7,000 miles. Run an occasional UOA to see how the oil looks.

I would think Honda should have accounted for fuel dilution in the design of this engine.

Originally Posted By: kjbock

19.gif

Agreed. I would use a 5W-30/0W-30 synthetic oil and change it about every 6-7,000 miles. Run an occasional UOA to see how the oil looks.

I would think Honda should have accounted for fuel dilution in the design of this engine.

Tough position: going up a viscosity grade may be good for the engine but could also jeopardize the warranty if Honda decided to get persnickety

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: kjbock

19.gif

Tough position: going up a viscosity grade may be good for the engine but could also jeopardize the warranty if Honda decided to get persnickety

True, but I doubt you will have any problem with the engine in the warranty period. While the wear rates would increase with the fuel dilution, I think the likelihood the engine will go in 60-70,000 miles is very low (unless the oil level rising reaches a critical level, but if you notified Honda, this would be documented). I don't think you would see any major problems until well past 100,000 miles, where you won't have any warranty anyway.

Here's this afternoons trip right up the west shore of Lake Michigan to the cabin, mostly 78mph and no less than 8 full throttle passes keep in mind the tires are +2% oversized and at 32psi not 44psi so all that is really 44mpg at real life speeds..that's why it's a keeper if we can figure out a lubrication program.

Honda DI engines; you either like or hate them; no middle ground
grin.gif

On my CRV; I find it very hard to check oil levels on its dipstick due to its design flaw or its thin oil...

Also I checked 2017 Acura TLX base, under the engine bay it looks the same as my CRV engine; I mean they did not even try to disguise a bit their resemblance...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: miden851
Honda DI engines; you either like or hate them; no middle ground
grin.gif

On my CRV; I find it very hard to check oil levels on its dipstick due to its design flaw or its thin oil...

Also I checked 2017 Acura TLX base, under the engine bay it looks the same as my CRV engine; I mean they did not even try to disguise a bit their resemblance...

If you have the orange plastic tipped dip stick just razor knife the orange off, under it you'll find a normal blade, i did this recently couldn't be happier.

Honestly, I wish our Hondas last forever
smile.gif

On Mazda, I can verify the oil level, basically after 2 hrs of drive and be accurate;

For Honda, it is still a mistery to me, very hard to check the level; I'm doing it in the morning strictly for now...

To me one of the reasons why it is so confusing and difficult is that design of the dipstick in Honda, while I am in love with that Mazda/Ford dipstick, making oil level so easy to check

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back