Not a fan of the iPhone anymore - what next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a galaxy S5. It was great. Then almost paid off Verizon did an update. Started crashing. Complained and they did another update, still crashes but not as much. 3 updates later very seldom crashes. I believe this is intentional to force me into a new phone.

I am switching providers as soon as the contract is up, and donating my old phone to charity for tax writeoff.

Rod

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
and donating my old phone to charity for tax writeoff.

LOL!

Get a Moto G
smile.gif

You are aware that Android phone manufacturers and the telecos that control the update availability don't support the upgrading of the OS for phones nearly as old as Apple does, and in some cases you can never update an Android OS beyond what the phone came with, right?

If you're good to go with that situation, you have lots of choices.

But I have to ask ... the iPhone5 was introduced in 2012, five years ago. That's a decent amount of service life for a smartphone, and you can still sell one for $85~125, depending on whether you bought one with added memory or not. So, are you expecting your new 'phone to last more than five years (since that wasn't enough for you with your current model)?

I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with that ... only this spring I replaced my iPhone4. But I should have taken up on the teleco's offer of an upgrade, since they build in the cost of the phone into every 2 year contract. I was paying for a phone I didn't get.

No idea how AT&T does it, but with my Teleco a new iPhone with maxed memory is about $C 225 ($US 168) on a new two year contract. With standard memory it's $C 99 ($US 74). That meets your budget of $US 200 or less.

My contract is $C 85/mo ($US 64) and includes;
Unlimited Data Canada-wide (soft cap at 10GB/mo, where the download speed is throttled down to 1.5 mbps)
Unlimited Calling Canada Wide
Unlimited Roaming Canada Wide
Unlimited Texting Canada and US-wide (includes video and photo texting)
Call Display, Name Display, 3-way Calling, Call Forwarding
Voicemail
Personal Hotspot is enabled (I use my phone for internet access for my PCs, so no monthly internet access costs)

Unlimited Calling/Roaming to/from the US is $10 extra, I didn't make enough calls to justify that so paid per call at $0.25/minute. Not sure what the Data option for US roaming is, but you can add it for just the one month if you plan to travel there.

I can roll over my contract without changing the terms or service, so the only issue would be if I failed to complete the two year term, they'd want to claw back the phone cost so I'd be on the hook for the unused months.

This iPhone 6+ is my first and maybe last iPhone. It works well and does the basics well, but my previous phone, an HTC One M7 was more to my liking, with intuitive features and access to options and customization not found on Apple devices. With that said, it did begin to lag and stutter at times after a couple of years.

When you update your iPhone, do you use a laptop or OTA? I've never updated my iPhone OTA, but had several issues with my HTC initially that were resolved with a clean load and never using OTA again. Same thing with my old Blackberry.

I am happy with my iphone 5. People love/hate iphones like they love/hate Amazon or Glock Pistols or [fill in the name of product or service]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dareo
LG phones sell dirt cheap used.

There's a reason for that.
Fool me once, shame on you.... fool me twice - ain't gonna happen!

Originally Posted By: dareo
Also to be considered is the iPhone SE. You can that great small form factor stuffed with a great camera and iphone 6 internals. Not sure if you can get one for 200 but they are really good for the size.

That is a possibility..... It may actually be the "easiest" option

Originally Posted By: Al
I am happy with my iphone 5. People love/hate iphones like they love/hate [fill in the name of product or service]

I'm happy with it as (for the most part) long as Apple would quit trying to make a good thing lousy.

I got my first iPhone 5C in 2014, and Apple screwwwwed me out of $319 when I sent it in for a warranty repair and they just replaced it (after only 3 mos) with a new one and charged me $319. What a rip off. The next one died, but they did honor the warranty that time. The 3rd one died out of warranty... a $65 ebay special kept me going for another 4 months, thenn the home button died. I'm on the 5th one now..........

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Every mobile electronic device has planned obsolescence. Welcome to 1997.

Fixed it for you :p

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Every mobile electronic device has planned obsolescence. Welcome to 1977.

Fixed it for you!

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

Fixed it for you!

Touche
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Al
I am happy with my iphone 5. People love/hate iphones like they love/hate Amazon or Glock Pistols or [fill in the name of product or service]

Yep. For my personal phone I just need a basic Android.

For work its an iPhone and iPad.

Been using 2 cell phones for 2 decades on 2 services at any given time, my personal (as well as wife and kids) plus a work supplied phone.

Work, used a Verizon Iphone the last few years, did its job, rugged but never really loved it.
Work just replaced my Iphone with a MOTO G Force, same deal, its ok, FANTASTIC battery life which is good for work, weighs a ton, but does what I need for work, yet would never want it for personal use.
ALSO I HATE, HATE, HATE Verizon branded phones, I hate the [censored] they load onto them, hate it.

Which brings me to my personal cell phone and cell plan for my family.
I use an Alcatel One Touch from Cricket (which is ATT), THE BEST PHONE I HAVE EVER USED, LOVE IT, $100. including activation and delivery to my house, outstanding battery life for a personal cell phone, NICE CLEAN install of Android without all the [censored] the name brand phones come with, unbelievable speakers for a smart phone, in fact there is a utube comparing the sound quality that is second to none, even head to head with the latest iphone.
Anyway, not that you are looking for a cheap phone, just letting people know its out there, never understand why people take out loans to buy a phone. Wow talk about people getting marketed too and giving their income to phone companies when similiar products to the same thing at for almost no money. Not only that, $100 delivered to your door with activation and there is no contract!!! *LOL*
Here is the phone if interested. Click here

Last edited:
I see no issues with iPhones, it's not for me personally, but there are obviously a lot of people that like them.

Smartphone prices are getting ridiculously high though, but if one is willing to stray away from the beaten path, the number of affordable and quite capable options is surprisingly high.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

Fixed it for you!

thumbsup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Apple forces "planned obsolescence" with it's products - their new iOS has killed my iPhone 5.

I can't afford a 6 or 7.....

I restored the 5 back to original... But I am so tired of their "strong arm tactics" with software updates ruining phones. This has happened so many times before with other models.

I planning to ditch apple forever, what is the next best phone option?

I'm on AT&T. Budget is under $200.

I'm quite happy with a Galaxy J7. IIRC, it was $160. Armored case and screen cover was $8 from Amazon.

Last edited:
I'm thinking Samsung Galaxy S7 "Active".

I like the idea of a "ruggedized" phone, and it has a huge battery also.

I can get one around $250, so I'm now listing junk (er...stuff!) on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back