Autolite Iridium Xp Vs. Hyundai OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time for new spark plugs for 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T. The owners manual requires new iridium plugs every 45k miles to maintain the warranty.

I'm down to picking between Autolite Xp's or Hyundai OEM (which appear to be specialty made Denso twin tip Iridiums).

Anyone have any suggestions, opinions, or experiences for these plugs?

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Who's the OEM for Hyundai? Denso? NGK?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Yeah, I would go with whatever specific Denso or NGK plugs the manual says. Don't experiment.

The manual doesn't say much, and the selection for my car is pretty limited. NGKs and Bosch don't list an Iridium plug for my car. However, I did find this listing on Amazon for Genuine Hyundai plugs here. Which is the same part number as on Hyundai's website. They apear to be made by Denso, and have a similar part number to their Iridium long life plugs that are listed on Denso's website for the Santa Fe 2.0T. But the long life plugs have a different tip than the OEM. The OEM look more like they are a Denso Irridum TT (twin tip) plug.

What makes this decision hard is the Autolite XP iridium (xp5703) that are listed for the Santa Fe will cost $19.07 for a set of 4 shipped from rockauto. The OEM plugs will cost $52.36 from Amazon. That's hard to swallow, but if the OEM are a better match then I'll pay it.

I think most Hyundais and Kias use NGK iridiums as the OEM plugs. Apparently, there are certain models ( very few ) that ship or have shipped in recent years with Champion iridiums but I've never seen them.

I'd agree with "OEM always" where a stock engine is concerned.

I put the Autolite XP Ird in my Focus 3 1/2 years ago and they perform very well. At the same time I tried the NKG Ird plugs in my Fusion. To date I see no difference. Next time around, I will go with the Autolite XP in the Fusion.

Different car, so take this only for what it's worth, but I had an interesting experience replacing the plugs in the Mazda5 in my sig. The OEM plugs are iridium, but I went with the Motorcraft platinum cross reference. Wound up with an intermittent missfire at highway speeds. On closer examination, the Motorcrafts were a little shorter than the originals I removed and hence didn't go far enough into the combustion chamber! Returned them to the store and went with Autolite XP iridiums. They've been in for two years now, no issues.

Two takeaways:
-It might pay to buy locally for easier returns if they don't work out.
-Autolite iridium worked fine for me. YMMV. See previous bullet.

If it's any consolation, the OEM plugs will be $50+ at the auto parts store too and you'll be getting a better plug that's spec'd for the car. One of my earliest and best lessons was to buy the OEM spec'd plugs as you're circumventing a lot of potential problems where you might be cursing that $32 saved. Nate's example is a prime one. Sure, they may work well over the life of the plug or they might also be an ongoing PITA from the start or somewhere down the road. No thanks.

I'm not convinced that even if they work well they'll last as long as the NGK or Denso equivalents, so it might be a wash on that front if the performance degrades 25K miles sooner. I can get 100K miles if I want too ( the performance will be noticeably degraded ) on NGK or Denso iridium plugs. I wouldn't necessarily expect that same performance from a cheaper plug.

Use Denso. MUCH better than Autolite "autoblight"

Rock Auto has you OE Denso twin tips for $9 each
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
I put the Autolite XP Ird in my Focus 3 1/2 years ago and they perform very well. At the same time I tried the NKG Ird plugs in my Fusion. To date I see no difference. Next time around, I will go with the Autolite XP in the Fusion.

+1....for the Autolite XP Ird. Changed out to the Autolite at 105K....and it has worked flawlessly fo the last 40,000 miles.

I've used Autolite plugs in several vehicles with good results: Double Platinum in a Kia Optima and Ford Ranger, and XP Iridium plugs in a Dodge 3.6 Pentastar.

Autolite XP Iridium seems well regarded and much better than Champion, Bosch etc...in Japanese engines.
I would probably use them in my Corolla, Elantra or Focus....but I do agree that you can't go wrong with OE.

I've used bosch with no issues. Heard a lot of complaints about the +4 plugs misfiring but a quick scan shows none. Got em off rockauto for around 1.50 a plug.

Last edited:
OEM only plugs are like saying OEM only oil filters.

Autolites (and NGK, DENSO, etc) work fine and i've used them in everything with fine results. Only plugs I ever have that failed early were in my CTS where the stock plugs begain misfiring at 44k miles...they were AC DELCO OEM made by Bosch. I put in Autolite double platinums and they are still in there at 130k miles thus lasting more than 2x longer. I already have another set ready to go in soon just for maintenance reasons. I also have used Iridium XP's with good results.

At 105k on the odo replaced the plugs on my 2010 Hyundai with OEMs. Original plugs didn't look bad at all.

Iridium plugs were designed to last longer than platinum which are normally rated for 100,000 miles. I have seen them run over 150,000 without issues. Very surprised the require a 45,000 mile plug change. Could use a much lower quality plug for that interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back