Davis-Monthan boneyard and the museum

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were in AZ in March and went to the Pima Air & Space Museum...lots of outdoor exhibits, it reminds me of the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patt when I was a kid, when they had more exhibits outdoors and a shuttle to some decrepit old hangers for the presidential planes and other odds and ends.

The boneyard tours were sold-out when we arrived, but we drove along the perimeter...astounding number of planes lined up in neat rows. Very cool way to spend a couple of hours.

I live an hour from Wright-Patterson but haven't been to the AF Museum in probably 5 years...maybe it's time to spend some time up there...

A lot of the outdoor stuff at WPAFB has been moved in recently. And the new hangar they added last year is awesome.

My wife and kids have NO interest in stuff like this so I have to find a half day when I can run up there and explore by myself. when I was a kid we made a pilgrimage to WPAFB about once a year; my parents weren't interested either but they indulged me.

Been to the PIMA Museum twice while visitng my daughters in Tucson, spent nearly all day when me and the wife went, the last time they had just rolled out the B36 Peacemaker, that plane is huge.
cool.gif

The Davis-Monthan Google Maps overheads give an insight to some arms control treaty requirements. Note the broken up B52's where the piece parts are laid out but the fuselages are gone. That's so they can be verified destroyed by either satellite or the Open Skies Treaty where the Russians and others can periodically use our own surveillance aircraft (specially configured OC-135B's) to overfly US military areas of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back