Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 1993 Civic, 3,007 miles

Vlad, Now that I have most of the issues under control (antifreeze leak, etc), I am thinking of running no less than 10,000 miles per oil change.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Awesome to say the least. What's your mpg?

The gas mileage varies. I just got back from a months vacation in Florida, the local MPG over the 1,200 miles I put on the Civic there was 29.8.
The purely highway MPG was 40.1 on this trip.

Very good wear metals at nearly a half million. Keep taking good care of it and you might even see 7 digit mileage in the future!
thumbsup2.gif

I agree one hundred percent. This thread is one of the most impressive on this whole board. Very, very well done harry j. Great work and dedication to all of this.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I agree one hundred percent. This thread is one of the most impressive on this whole board. Very, very well done harry j. Great work and dedication to all of this.

+1

Have to check in periodically.....nice to see things are running well! Gotta love it!!

Just wanted to say this this thread, in my opinion, is one of the best on here. I just finished reading the whole thing and it's awesome to see someone stick with their car through all of that. Great work Harry! Hope to see more of your Civic in the future!

Miles on Civic- 473,349
Miles on oil- 10,071
Amsoil AZO 0w-30 oil
EAo36 oil filter
Dual Filtermag CT-3.2
Golden Eagle magnetic drain plug
One quart of makeup oil

Blackstone Labs; Harry, silicon bumped up, but not enough to earn a mark. Wear metals are still in good shape, so we aren't terribly concerned with dirt infiltration. It wouldn't hurt to check out the air filter though just to be safe. Everything else looks good and no measureable fuel
showed up, so this is the first "perfect" report in quite some time. TBN was a strong 3.0, and the particle count read 17/16/14 - cleaner than last time. All in all, we're just glad to see your engine earned a highlight free report at 473,349 miles, Keep up the good work!

Code:
[/code]

Aluminum------------------------4----------------------------4 universal average based on 3,500 mile OCI

Chromium------------------------1----------------------------1

Iron----------------------------16---------------------------9

Copper--------------------------3----------------------------3

Lead----------------------------0----------------------------2

Tin-----------------------------0----------------------------1

Molybdenum----------------------270--------------------------84

Nickel--------------------------0----------------------------0

Manganese-----------------------0----------------------------0

Silver--------------------------0----------------------------0

Titanium------------------------0----------------------------0

Potassium-----------------------9----------------------------4

Boron---------------------------43---------------------------49

Silicon-------------------------20---------------------------11

Sodium--------------------------10---------------------------43

Calcium-------------------------3411-------------------------2146

Magnesium-----------------------36---------------------------143

Phosphorus----------------------655--------------------------712

Zinc----------------------------754--------------------------833

Barium--------------------------0----------------------------0

Code:
SUS Viscosity @ 210 F---------62.2---------------------57-67 (value should be)
cST Viscosity @ 100 C---------10.85--------------------9.4-12.4
Flashpoint in F---------------410---------------------->385
Fuel%------------------------- Antifreeze%-------------------0-------------------------0
Water%------------------------0------------------------- Insolubles%-------------------0.3------------------------ TBN---------------------------3.0

Particles for ISO code 17/16/14;

>=2 microns--2,222 particles
>=5----------823
>=10---------227
>=15---------88
>=25---------21
>=50---------2
>=100--------0

Note- Silicon value a bit higher due to a valve adjustment.

No bypass system, oil was changed at time of analysis sample. Hey, did you hear that Amsoil is going to a new oil formulation?

Originally Posted By: harry j
No bypass system, oil was changed at time of analysis sample. Hey, did you hear that Amsoil is going to a new oil formulation?

Oh, really? No, I had not heard of that before. Is there any information out yet?

I learned about it from the Amsoil preferred customer publication. The article touches on the reason for the oil specification upgrades. Turbo charging, direct fuel injection, smaller high stressed engines.....seems that they are running into piston fracturing problems.

Originally Posted By: harry j
I learned about it from the Amsoil preferred customer publication. The article touches on the reason for the oil specification upgrades. Turbo charging, direct fuel injection, smaller high stressed engines.....seems that they are running into piston fracturing problems.

Is that with their current formulations or SN standards? Or does it seem to coincide with with the next standard to be released?

The current formulation is the old one. When the supply of the old oil runs out, the new stuff will be released. It looks like Amsoil is getting a head start with the new oil formulation.ILSAC GR6, DEXOS 1- GEN 2, API SO? Not really 100% positive on these designations, i'm doing it from memory.

I should have looked it up before posting, here are the correct designations; API SP, ILSAC GF-6 and DEXOS 1 GEN 2.

Back