Any Benelli 828U owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krieghoff K-80 - hands down the most well balanced trap shotgun I've ever used. I wish I had one :)

I like the SxS more than the O/U, but for vertically stacked doubles, the Browning Superposed is my fav. Not the most modern, but for those of us that like anything associated with John Moses Browning, it has a special place in our hearts.

For Trap I have 2 Browning Citori's. Both are Trap guns I use for doubles. One in a standard grade, and the other is a Grade VI with all the embellishments. For singles and Handicap I use a Browning BT-99 Plus. For Sporting Clay's I shoot a Beretta 686 Onyx. I run Briley Extended Chokes in everything. I also have an original production Ruger Red Label I bought back in the early 90's. Of them all the Browning's are my favorite.

The only side by side I have is a Churchill Windsor 10 Gauge 3-1/2", that I bought for Goose hunting in southern Illinois. This was the year before they passed the steel shot laws in the 70's. I killed several Geese with it. But it's only been fired a few times since. They passed the steel shot laws a year later. I've never fired steel through it. It has 32" barrels that are bored full and full. I've never had or seen a shotgun that patterned as dense as that one at 40 yards.

Originally Posted By: billt460
For Trap I have 2 Browning Citori's. Both are Trap guns I use for doubles. One in a standard grade, and the other is a Grade VI with all the embellishments. For singles and Handicap I use a Browning BT-99 Plus. For Sporting Clay's I shoot a Beretta 686 Onyx. I run Briley Extended Chokes in everything. I also have an original production Ruger Red Label I bought back in the early 90's. Of them all the Browning's are my favorite.

The only side by side I have is a Churchill Windsor 10 Gauge 3-1/2", that I bought for Goose hunting in southern Illinois. This was the year before they passed the steel shot laws in the 70's. I killed several Geese with it. But it's only been fired a few times since. They passed the steel shot laws a year later. I've never fired steel through it. It has 32" barrels that are bored full and full. I've never had or seen a shotgun that patterned as dense as that one at 40 yards.

I have a Greener that is much like that, it patterns insanely tight. I use it to really hone my skills with clays in preparation for pheasant season. It isn't a side by side though, it is built on a Martini action.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
Krieghoff K-80 - hands down the most well balanced trap shotgun I've ever used. I wish I had one :)

Yeah me too... I handled one at cabelas the other day, but couldn't get past the feeling that it retailed for more than my car.

I have two Browning Citori's that have served me well. One is an 32" XT trap model that I only use for trap. I have added an adjustable comb and recoil pad to that gun. The other is a 28" Lighting model I use for skeet, 5-stand, and sporting clays.

I picked up an 828U at the gun store and it felt good. Liked the balance and weight. I wouldn't mind a lighter OU for hunting but prefer a heavier gun for target use (soaks up recoil). TFB recently reviewed the 828U: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/04/07/review-benelli-828u/

Yeah, the mass concerned me a bit.

I really want true charcoal color case hardened, and some engraving that's not a picture, but that's nice and decorative. I know, none of those things improve how you shoot, but its just kind of what Im looking for.

Im thinking right now Ill wait for the right deal on a Merkel to come through. Unless I go to Connecticut there's really not much Ive seen that is new US made, lots of Japanese, Turkish, etc. or a ton of money.

If I can shoot it and try it out, and the color and bluing and wood is better than 95%, I'd buy a classic 200E or a 2000E... maybe.

I have my eyes on a shop in NJ that carries a lot of high end shotguns, where I think I can do just that.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I really want true charcoal color case hardened, and some engraving that's not a picture, but that's nice and decorative. I know, none of those things improve how you shoot, but its just kind of what Im looking for.

I have one of these in 28 gauge. I love it.
http://www.beretta.com/en-us/687-silver-pigeon-v/

687silverpigeon5_zoom002.jpg

Ed

Done with charcoal and bone or hot cyanide?

My brother has a lower model 686. I really like it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Done with charcoal and bone or hot cyanide?

My brother has a lower model 686. I really like it.

It's likely cyanide or similar, as there's no chance of distorting finely machined parts. They coat it to maintain the color, which wouldn't be a bad idea for a bone charcoal finish as they seem to fade with age too.

I have two Berettas, a 682 sporting clays gun and the 687 field gun. I like their more traditional, timeless styling vs the new angular modern things. I also like the slim receiver. A 12 ga. Beretta is only as tall as other makes 20 ga. offerings. IMHO Beretta offers the most value for the money in an over and under.

Ed

I have a Citori Silver Hunter 3.5". Its special run. I love that shotgun.

I thinking of picking up another Citori for unofficial sporting clays fun.

I picked up a Champion Wheelybird. So much fun. I wish I bought one years ago. In the last 2 weeks Ive gone through 1500 shells.

I'm not into the "modern look" O/U's the 828U Benelli and the Browning Cynergy fit into. Matte finished metal, along with all the sleek, space age lines, accompanied with aluminum and plastic don't go well with most O/U's classic looks. I have a Beretta 686 Onyx Sporting I purchased some years back. It's a nice gun, but it has nowhere near the value Browning builds into their Citori line. I think most of the Beretta O/U's are overpriced for what you get these days. If you stay away from all the fancy embellishments, Browning still represents the best bang for your buck in the O/U market. And they have for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back