White vs red spray grease

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I don't own white lithium other than a small tube. Recommended everywhere, but nothing but a mess that dries out.

However, my distaste for white lithium means I haven't kept after any hinges like I should, and now it has shown as noise on a few vehicles.

Im thinking to flush with wd-40, then apply a spray grease. White and red from CRC are the leading options. I may have some red Amsoil spray grease somewhere too...

Recommendations? This is for door, hood and trunk/liftgate hinges.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Wurth HHS-K is great for those applications. Goes on thin thin to penetrate then dries to a tacky clear grease.
i have a can of that at work its good stuff but for my cars i still prefer a quick shot of triflow when i change the oil

I wonder if CRC clear penetrating grease is the same kind of stuff as the Wurth.

I use Castrol chain lube, but it can be messy if not wiped the next day because it's almost black in color. Once I use up Castrol I'm thinking of getting DuPont Teflon chain saver, apparently it is transparent and light in color.
In any event, these are much better than white lithium grease in my experience, as they are applied thin, therefore penetrate the hinge very well and thicken up after.

I use Boeshield on hinges, penetrates and dries to a waxy lubricating film that doesn't wash out and doesn't leave a discolored sticky mess. Give them a squirt every couple months on the truck and never had an issue. Really helps with the notoriously loud Chevy roller detents that never seem to roll.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Wurth HHS-K is great for those applications. Goes on thin thin to penetrate then dries to a tacky clear grease.

+1

Awesome stuff... but harder to come by and $$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back