More startup engine rattle on 0W-40 than 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Follow the oil cap for your viscosity. I bet a thousand dollars that 0w40 is not specified.

My guess too. Don't know why someone would use a weight that is not specified and then wonders why things aren't performing well.

WHY, you ask---?
because the mo's who wrote the 0-20 spec in the manual are the same mo's who also wrote in the manual it is perfectly fine for the engine to burn up to 1 qt/1000 miles.
THAT IS WHY
Steve

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Yeah, but what is "synthetic" in the OP's location... The word varies from location to location.

Most likely the start-up rattle is more filter related. Bad, or missing anti-drain-back-valve (ADBV) ...

Don't even change the oil. Just get a premium filter with a known good ADBV and change that. Rattle may go away
smile.gif

That's what I would try first if the noise bothered me enough.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I never had luck with Thailand MFG denso (toyota) filters.

Oh we gotta hear this story. What on earth could possibly cause you to not have "luck" with the OEM filter.

This has to be a good one. How many engines did they destroy?
That why I came on here YEARS ago. Why would an apparently well made filter affect oiling? Two engines, Yaris and Rav 4. Mid 2000's. I put on the dirty filter and the problem went away ( extremely noisey valvetrain). So what would you blame? Or do you not understand logical thinking?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
That why I came on here YEARS ago. Why would an apparently well made filter affect oiling? Two engines, Yaris and Rav 4. Mid 2000's. I put on the dirty filter and the problem went away ( extremely noisey valvetrain). So what would you blame? Or do you not understand logical thinking?

Yes I do, that's why I asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back