A win for all us model airplane flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a fine line between individual rights and public safety. One accident with a high loss of life due to a drone will have the public clamoring for more regulation of drones.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
There is a fine line between individual rights and public safety. One accident with a high loss of life due to a drone will have the public clamoring for more regulation of drones.

Yep, and rightly so. But it's better to be reactive than proactive so the public can see *why* things need to be regulated. Body counted be darned.

It's just the typical SOP of a bureaucratic hive mind; promulgate a regulation that is expressly prohibited by statute.

Those multi-rotor drones are different from most of the rest of the RC hobby. I have a bunch of planes and a couple of helicopters and have no interest in one of those self flying drones. And most multi-rotor drone flyers have no interest in R/C airplanes and helicopters.

Regulating those multi-rotor drones is becoming necessary because of the behavior of some of those flyers. So, if there's going to be regulations added they should concentrate on those drones and leave the rest of us alone. We're members of the AMA and follow strict safety guidelines and behave in a responsible manner. That alone separates us from many of those drone flyers.

There are days when some of those rowdy drone flyers show up at the local R/C field and the regular flyers go home. Then the group that regularly flies there gets blamed for their bad behavior.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Those multi-rotor drones are different from most of the rest of the RC hobby. I have a bunch of planes and a couple of helicopters and have no interest in one of those self flying drones. And most multi-rotor drone flyers have no interest in R/C airplanes and helicopters.

Regulating those multi-rotor drones is becoming necessary because of the behavior of some of those flyers. So, if there's going to be regulations added they should concentrate on those drones and leave the rest of us alone. We're members of the AMA and follow strict safety guidelines and behave in a responsible manner. That alone separates us from many of those drone flyers.

There are days when some of those rowdy drone flyers show up at the local R/C field and the regular flyers go home. Then the group that regularly flies there gets blamed for their bad behavior.

Yep, I say regulate drones to the point where those who fly them can't see straight.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

I fly planes and copters as well and I agree 100%...drones are not the same and should not be lumped in the same category...

Originally Posted By: blupupher
So if you paid the fee in the past to register, do you get a refund since it was an illegal tax? (I already know the answer to this).

Thankfully I don't belong to a club or the AMA anymore and just laughed when the registration was required. I live where there are so many wide open spaces that it doesn't make sense to pay to fly anymore. My helis I fly in my backyard.

She bought me a quadcopter for Christmas and I didn't realize you had to get it registered. The camera isn't the best, but it's sure fun to take out. I have plenty of acreage to fly in the country where my only issue would be predatory birds.

I prefer not to use the word drone because that would either be used for a.) spying or b.) killing. Much like I prefer to say rifle or carbine vs. assault rifle.

Watching the news this morning and, they said there have been several delays in fighting a fire in the Pinal mountains near Globe Arizona due to drones flying in the area of the tankers. This is the idiocy that needs regulating ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back