TPMS replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a set of bare rims for my Tundra, as the tire shop has my LTX's and I'm waiting to see what I'll get for prorating. In the meantime... one sensor has a stuck valve core. And all four sensors are now 7 years old. Should I get a set of Dorman sensors and replace? I see them for like $42/each or so on Amazon, or $57+shipping for OEM. Seems like a perfect time to replace.

[I'm very tempted to remove and make a TPMS pipe bomb, or just live with the light, but it seems cheap to replace sensors. Plus I have this nagging thought about trading out of the truck.]

Seven years old, one has a stuck valve core? Do the correct thing and replace all four.
One good thing about the vehicles in my signature is that
they use indirect TPMS. Indirect TPMS uses the ABS wheel sensors to detect the wheel speed rotation from one another. You set a button in the glove box.
When a tire loses enough air, the rotation speed changes and triggers the TPMS dash light. Allows for inexpensive rubber valve stems. I wish all vehicles used this system.

It had a stuck core 3 years ago when I got new tires. Shop couldn't remove so I let it go; and the core held pressure for 3 years. [Makes you wonder why we always replace 'em, eh?]

I'm curious how the latest system will work: measuring tire harmonics ( link ) . I still think direct pressure is best, apart from the cost and aggravation aspect.

I need info in the worst way:

When you change a TPMS unit does the car adjust to any difference in frequency?
Are all TPMS radio units on the same frequency?

Is there some software needed to reset if you change TPMS units?

I assume a "TPMS pipe bomb" is a short length of 6" pipe into which TPMS units are mounted. Then the pipe is capped and filled with air pressure so the TPMS units read "OK". Where would you mount this pipe bomb so all 4 corners could read it?

I want to say "many" use 315MHz to transmit from the sensor to a receiver in the vehicle; I'm pretty sure my two Toyota's use 315MHz. It's not the frequency that changes, but each sensor has a different code that it transmits. So changing a sensor requires one to talk to the receiver (it's not part of the ECU, at least not in my case) and tell it what codes it should expect. I'm not sure if it's spread spectrum or what, I suspect if more than one sensor "talks" then the data collision wipes out the transmission. But the receiver expects that, and will wait a predetermined period of time before deciding there is a fault. The sensors likely transmit on random intervals, so as to minimize collisions.

I have a knockoff Techstream so if I get the code off the sensor I should be able to change at will.

TPMS pipe bomb is as you expect, although I would just use a pair of 4" endcaps and just enough PVC to hold them together. Maybe 3" pipe would work... anyhow, 4 holes, install sensors inside, glue it up. Pump up to 40psi and toss into the trunk, or under a seat. The TPMS receiver in my case is under/around the glovebox.

Sounds like you are answering your own question.

I have seen the Toyota TPMS on Ebay for around $20.
It is probably used but a lot of people seems to buy it and it is still good.

RockAuto has TPMS sensors for your Tundra from VDO for $32 each; Dormans (with their lifetime warranty) for $41. I'd replace them now, but if you're likely to sell/trade the truck in, I wouldn't pay for a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:
I think it would be money well spent. The only concern is buying a set of sensors that you you KNOW can be successfully programmed for your Toyota. For instance, some of the Nissan/Infiniti sensors are proprietary, so aftermarket sensors on some models can't be programmed.

Originally Posted By: supton
I want to say "many" use 315MHz to transmit from the sensor to a receiver in the vehicle; I'm pretty sure my two Toyota's use 315MHz. It's not the frequency that changes, but each sensor has a different code that it transmits. So changing a sensor requires one to talk to the receiver (it's not part of the ECU, at least not in my case) and tell it what codes it should expect. I'm not sure if it's spread spectrum or what, I suspect if more than one sensor "talks" then the data collision wipes out the transmission. But the receiver expects that, and will wait a predetermined period of time before deciding there is a fault. The sensors likely transmit on random intervals, so as to minimize collisions.

I have a knockoff Techstream so if I get the code off the sensor I should be able to change at will.

TPMS pipe bomb is as you expect, although I would just use a pair of 4" endcaps and just enough PVC to hold them together. Maybe 3" pipe would work... anyhow, 4 holes, install sensors inside, glue it up. Pump up to 40psi and toss into the trunk, or under a seat. The TPMS receiver in my case is under/around the glovebox.
The sensor doesn't transmit unless the tire is moving. Does the "bomb" duplicate that.

I've run Dorman TPMS sensors for the past five winters on my snow tire wheel sets, including my wife's '11 Toyota Highlander, without programming problems. Perhaps Toyotas are less proprietary than others in this realm.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The sensor doesn't transmit unless the tire is moving. Does the "bomb" duplicate that.

Good question. For this vehicle I could just toss in the bed and it'd bounce around enough to work. That or zip tie up under the bed, even.

Sounds like it's a good time to replace, and that Dorman's are ok for this application. I might go that route then.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Good question. For this vehicle I could just toss in the bed and it'd bounce around enough to work. That or zip tie up under the bed, even.

Really depends on the car. Some cars have initiators at each corner that will trigger the sensors, but the sensor has to be near the initiator. Some cars just have a central unit for all four wheels, and the sensors are only turned on by centrifugal force of the wheel spinning.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Indirect TPMS uses the ABS wheel sensors to detect the wheel speed rotation from one another. You set a button in the glove box.
When a tire loses enough air, the rotation speed changes and triggers the TPMS dash light. Allows for inexpensive rubber valve stems. I wish all vehicles used this system.

Me too
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Just replace them.

Nice of you to spend $200 for me.
wink.gif

I'd just pull 'em but I have this nagging thought in the back of my head that I'm going to sell in a year or two. I'm no longer sure it's a good fit for my needs. So I might as well just do it right and have a better value.

If you thinking of trading the truck soon, just replace the one that went bad, as 4 new ones isn't really a selling feature, kind of like a fresh oil change and a full tank of gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back