Driving with a CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I drove a new Honda CRV with a CVT transmission. I think I might skip buying one because of the drivability. I just did not like the hunting around and the numb response. It made me feel like I was abusing the engine.

Later I drove a Subaru Crosstrek and what a difference. In did everything I expected it to do. It responded well and did not give me the impression that the engine was struggling to respond to my input.

All this was after driving a little Ford with a dual clutch transmission. I returned to the parking lot and refused to continue because I thought something was broken and I did not want to contribute to the problem.

If I buy the Crosstrek I looked at even though it has the best CVT of several cars I drove I'm going to opt for the manual transmission. Having one of these new transmissions does not make me feel comfortable with the prospect of long term ownership.

Subaru
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Today I drove a new Honda CRV with a CVT transmission. I think I might skip buying one because of the drivability. I just did not like the hunting around and the numb response. It made me feel like I was abusing the engine.

Later I drove a Subaru Crosstrek and what a difference. In did everything I expected it to do. It responded well and did not give me the impression that the engine was struggling to respond to my input.

All this was after driving a little Ford with a dual clutch transmission. I returned to the parking lot and refused to continue because I thought something was broken and I did not want to contribute to the problem.

If I buy the Crosstrek I looked at even though it has the best CVT of several cars I drove I'm going to opt for the manual transmission. Having one of these new transmissions does not make me feel comfortable with the prospect of long term ownership.

These threads have been coming up often. I've driven quite a few now, and had similar impressions although I didn't like the Subaru unit very much either. Fortunately for me the vehicles I like aren't made with a CVT transmission, and hopefully it stays that way. Time to hide.
27.gif

Driving with a CVT is a little different and takes a while to get use to it. I have back issues and I choose my Altima because it offered the best back support for me. I actually like driving with the CVT now. There seems to be a little numb response at times but if I really need power such as merging on an expressway, I just pop it into sport mode and it takes off like a rocket. Nissan has had some reliability issues with their CVT's especially the 2013's and 2014's. But they seem to be getting a handle on those issues now.

I personally love the CVTs that I've driven from Honda, Nissan, Toyota.
I wouldn't want a CVT in every car that I may buy for example, a vehicle that is more performance oriented. But for the everydayness of a vehicle, I find the CVT perfect for my driving style especially in the larger 4 cyl(2.4L-2.5L) cars. However, not as pleasing in the smaller 4 cyl(1.5L-1.8L) as these smaller engines can feel even more lethargic than their small displacement engines would suggest.

The cvt offers a smooth ride and better fuel economy but I hate the feeling I get that I'm lugging the engine because the transmission is staying in a higher gear ratio when I want to go faster. I have yet to try a sports mode version. Maybe that would help?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

These threads have been coming up often. I've driven quite a few now, and had similar impressions although I didn't like the Subaru unit very much either. Fortunately for me the vehicles I like aren't made with a CVT transmission, and hopefully it stays that way. Time to hide.
27.gif

I have a bigger problem. There is nothing that is being made now that I really like from any OEM. Actually, makes things easier from a buying perspective. It is very easy to walk away from a deal. I will just try and keep the vehicles alive as long as I can. Every time I just do a little net surfing and looking at various vehicles, it doesn't take long before I give up in disgust. And transmission types really are not one of the top reasons for that disgust.

The one thing that I don't like about the CVT in my FXT is that it won't let the car really launch...I've read that brake boosting can help one get around that, but I'm not doing that in a daily driver I expect to last 8 years or more.
Other than that, I find my CVT to be smooth and unobtrusive. I did notice over the weekend that the CVT in my daughter's Impreza (which I'd guess would be the same one as in the Crosstrek) took quite a while to shift from drive to reverse and back.

Subaru Outback with CVT is excellent. I won't condemn a transmission based on a few vehicles experience. I used to detest automatics till I got a V6 Acura and then drove an 8 speed BMW twin turbo 6 cylinder.

I also used to think manuals were superior till driving a recent generation Corolla and Toyota appears to have not cared.

"Other than that, I find my CVT to be smooth and unobtrusive. I did notice over the weekend that the CVT in my daughter's Impreza (which I'd guess would be the same one as in the Crosstrek) took quite a while to shift from drive to reverse and back."

That sounds ominous. Has the fluid been changed?

For those who may not know:

Subaru is continuously(no pun) making software updates to their CVT so, this lack of quick response from e.g., D to R & back should be addressed. The also have IIRC, 7 virtual gear/feel = fake shifts as do the other MFGs.

Honda also has continuously updated their software for these exact reasons and has(according to the PRESS), quicker WOT response compared to other MFGs CVTs.

Nissan has also made updates to the CVT software so it too has a more conventional auto feel and quicker response to throttle input.

The Toyota CVTs that I've driven seem to have gotten better compared to previous generations.

My concern with CVTs is their long term reliability. I love them now but, I don't want to hate them later!

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I have a bigger problem. There is nothing that is being made now that I really like from any OEM. Actually, makes things easier from a buying perspective. It is very easy to walk away from a deal.

Ditto. I tried really hard to get into some econoboxes but didn't like them. Much happier in an ancient Camry. One button/knob/stalk for each function. To each their own. To me it's just a box to use to go over distances.

OP, if you're going to skip a 2017 CRV do it because of fuel dilution, at least if the only two UOAs posted here for Honda's 1.5T are representative of the breed.

I find the CVT in my 2015 completely unobjectionable and well-suited the the car. Two things were very surprising to me: 1) it's terrific in mountains, like I70 across Colorado and 2) it's not easy to keep a steady speed without cruise control - I think we rely on our sensation of engine revs to unconsciously hold a steady speed and this input is missing with a CVT.

I've driven both the 2016 CRV with the CVT and a 2017 Civic with the 1.5T and a CVT. I was happy with both transmissions on responsiveness and driveability. Acceleration was excellent on the Civic. Would not hesitate to purchase either vehicle (in fact my father-in-law did buy the CRV).

I really liked the CVT in the Subarus and Hondas. The only ones for which I don't care for are the Nissan units - and that's not so muc quirky operation but the almost religious self destruction before 100K.

I'm heavily looking at Foresters for my next vehicle. The CVTs do keep piquing my interest, especially since you can actually tow with them. Likely, I'll get a manual Forester

Originally Posted By: double vanos
My next car just might be a "simple" car.

New? Not sure "simple" is allowed.

'Cept maybe if its electric.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
The also have IIRC, 7 virtual gear/feel = fake shifts as do the other MFGs.

That seems a bit weird.

If I understand you correctly, they are simulating what was an imperfection in a "classic" GM style auto box because that's what people are used to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back