PP 5w30 vs. Synpow 5w30 vs. Napa syn 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
PP 5w30 vs. Synpower 5w30 vs. Napa syn 5w30 vs. Castrol edge syn black bottle 5w30

I found all in the same price around ($26). What would you buy? Why?

Can you also rank them from 1 (most likely to buy) to 4 (less likely to buy)

Last edited:
I'd got for PP or SynPower as they are A5 oils, PP is also a B5 oil.
I use PP 5w-30 in my Kias that have 5w-20 printed on fill cap but also list 5w-30 and 10w-30 in manual.

Originally Posted By: dubber09
I use PP 5w-30 in my Kias that have 5w-20 printed on fill cap but also list 5w-30 and 10w-30 in manual.

What does mean A5 or B5 oils? sorry I am learning

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: momo
Originally Posted By: dubber09

What does mean A5 or B5 oils? sorry I am learning

I believe these are for European spec'd vehicles(Audi, BMW, Mercedes, VW)

Any of PP, SynPower or Edge would all do me fine. I would buy on price, but given they are the same price, just pick one. PP tends to be at the thinner end of the 30 grade spectrum, while Castrol tends to be at the thicker end of the ILSAC 30 grade spectrum. If that helps.

Nothing wrong with Napa but for the same price I would get SynPower as they are both made by Ashland and the SynPower is ment to be their best product.

If all are the same price I'd use the PP or Edge....I still (rightly or wrongly) consider Synpower not to be an extended OCI oil (from past BITOG threads).

If I were never going to exceed a 7500 miles OCI, Synpower might be my first choice.

"Nothing wrong with Napa but for the same price I would get SynPower as they are both made by Ashland and the SynPower is ment to be their best product."

I agree. Valvoline is not going to mix up the same oil for NAPA as the Synpower.

"If I were never going to exceed a 7500 miles OCI, Synpower might be my first choice."

I haven't seen an extended UOA either for Synpower so you have a point there. Then again, 10k oci are limited to a few oils. Not all that many oils can go that distance on purpose. Some do just out of neglect or forgetfulness.

I never liked Ashlands 5w30 ILSAC, Liked the 20. So Id say PP. The process makes it a "real" synthetic oil for the $$ spent, Not a PAO or POA but a clean paraffin. I'm running QSUD 10w30. Id recommend that for even LESS $$ than those mentioned by the OP.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I never liked Ashlands 5w30 ILSAC, Liked the 20. So Id say PP. The process makes it a "real" synthetic oil for the $$ spent, Not a PAO or POA but a clean paraffin. I'm running QSUD 10w30. Id recommend that for even LESS $$ than those mentioned by the OP.

First, as I learned a few weeks back, Valvoline has split off from Ashland. They are a single entity now. Second, what is the "process" for PP you speak of? GTL? i don't think Shell/ Pennzoil has cornered that market.

I'd choose the only one of those that currently carries a $10 mfg rebate per 5 qt jug. The rebate runs all year long.

Unfortunately, probably doesn't work in Canada. I'd choose between PP and Castrol as they have similar add packs in the 30 grade. If your car calls for 30 grade, I'd go with the Castrol as it's probably higher on the viscosity. If your vehicle calls for a 20 grade and you want to use a weaker 30 grade, then I'd choose the PP.

Originally Posted By: momo
PP 5w30 vs. Synpower 5w30 vs. Napa syn 5w30 vs. Castrol edge syn black bottle 5w30

I found all in the same price around ($26). What would you buy? Why?

Can you also rank them from 1 (most likely to buy) to 4 (less likely to buy)

1. PP
2. synpower
3./4. napa or castrol

i have never used castrol but i stocked up on a bunch of napa syn 0w20 last $2.99 sale. i just picked up 10Q of synpower W/ maxlife tech last month from autozone for $2 i plan on using on my malibu. im going to use the rest of the napa syn on my parents fusion and escape.

1. PP
2. Castrol
3. SynPower
4. NAPA

However, if you have a high mileage vehicle with a slight oil leak, SynPower with MaxLife would be one of your best options. I would also agree with looking at the rebate options.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

I haven't seen an extended UOA either for Synpower so you have a point there. Then again, 10k oci are limited to a few oils. Not all that many oils can go that distance on purpose. Some do just out of neglect or forgetfulness.

Why not going over 7.5k using Synpower? PYB can easily reach 7.5k without a problem? Is it not supposed to follow the old saying " synthetic vs. Non synthetic is about how long your planned OCI"

I'm with Chewie.

PP would be my first choice.

Castrol next. I like their overall bottle/label design, and sometimes that's all it takes for me.

I don't know why, but I've never had a favorable opinion of Valvoline, though I'll use it if it's on sale as compared to my preferred brands.

Napa, because it's basically (or has been in the past) Valvoline with a little nip/tuck

My first choice would be PP because it's the only A5/B5 oil sold in the US (and possibly true for Canada, too)

My second choice is Castrol. It's A1/B1, supposed to be reformulated to meet A5/B5 again soon, but still good for long drains.

Third is Synpower. It's just not as good as Castrol and PP (or M1) and not worth the same price as them. No ACEA, and it doesn't even claim HTO-06 standard that the others do meet. In fact, there are even cheap syns that meet HTO-06 (such as QSUD and Havoline ProDS syn)

Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower, but for the same price, just get the name brand. Now, if it was on sale for $3/qt, then I'd use the Napa (that's most of the appeal for Napa syn--it's Synpower at a lower price). I believe Napa Synthetic and Synpower to be worth the US Napa sale price but not worth the same price as PP/M1/Edge

NOTE: if M1 5w30 was on sale at the same price, I would rank it between Castrol and Synpower.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower, but for the same price, just get the name brand. Now, if it was on sale for $3/qt

Here Napa Synthetic jug (5 Liters) is $40 regular price when it's on sale becomes $26

"Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower, but for the same price, just get the name brand. Now, if it was on sale for $3/qt, then I'd use the Napa (that's most of the appeal for Napa syn--it's Synpower at a lower price). I believe Napa Synthetic and Synpower to be worth the US Napa sale price but not worth the same price as PP/M1/Edge"

Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth? Nope, this is still as false as it was the last time you posted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back