Does mmo in oil or gas harm cat ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using it for years and I even dumped a whole quart in my tank at once when I got into water at sank the truck.
No I'll effects. Use it in all our vehicles every tank.
So I am going to say No.

While I've never actually seen any hard evidence showing that MMO can damage cats, I'm going to say that prolonged use of very high doses of it can potentially coat and damage a catalytic converter.

As Panzerman has stated, a single huge dose might not necessarily cause problems, but I personally would not want to risk continued/frequent overdosing.

I would say that using MMO in fuel at the recommended doses (2-4oz/10 gallons) should not have any negative impact on Cat performance, however.

I love using MMO in non-automotive applications. It cleans out bearings great and does great in bronze bushings.

A while back I was at the range firing my AR-15 with a buddy and it started running a little dry. I had forgotten my usual gun lube but I had MMO in the car. After re-lubricating properly we shot another leisurely magazine. At the end, the gun started to smoke. The MMO was burning off in a grey white fashion, leaving some deposits in the process.

I know that isn't automotive related, but it showed me how MMO works in a high temp application. It burns off, smokes and carbonizes. For this reason I haven't used it in any fuel system or crankcase. I can't think it would be good for sensors or cats.

Take this with a grain of salt as very anecdotal evidence.

Lel. I used MMO to lube up some injector seals prior to installation on a car I was turbocharging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back