Motor oil for Turbo going uphill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our automotive market here in Dominican Rep is very similar to the US one in terms of available vehicle models and motor oil brands.

Now we are getting the new CR-V (made in USA) with the 1.5T engine which calls for 0w-20 motor oil. HGMO full syn and syn-blend, PP and Motul, are the only 0w-20 motor oils currently available here. There is a small community located on a mountain frecuently visited for leisure but it takes over an hour going uphill on a paved road to get there. We all know the heat produced by turbos is insane and in this case the Turbo will spend that amount of time working continuously to power up the CR-V or any other turbocharged vehicle demanding a lot from the oil.

What motor oil should we use?

Last edited:
Motul or PP are good. I personally would bump the oil grade up to a 30 weight oil either 0w30 or 5w30 (since you are in the beautiful Dominican where I doubt you see cold weather like we do here in NA).

Check your owners manual, it should state if you can use a different weight oil depending on climate.

using PP and motul is great but i prefer to use 30w grade instead of 20w grade so 0w30 would be the right choice

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 if available

Yes. A 30 weight oil for the constant heat, synthetic to better resist that heat. 1 hour under heavy load is a lot.

Originally Posted By: Carguy21
Our automotive market here in Dominican Rep is very similar to the US one in terms of available vehicle models and motor oil brands.

Now we are getting the new CR-V (made in USA) with the 1.5T engine which calls for 0w-20 motor oil. HGMO full syn and syn-blend, PP and Motul, are the only 0w-20 motor oils currently available here. There is a small community located on a mountain frecuently visited for leisure but it takes over an hour going uphill on a paved road to get there. We all know the heat produced by turbos is insane and in this case the Turbo will spend that amount of time working continuously to power up the CR-V or any other turbocharged vehicle demanding a lot from the oil.

Factory recommended 0W20 as mandated by CAFE is NOT meant for this application ..... whilst any (old) passenger vehicles on the road today are capable of it.
Yes, I heard it ..... that manufacturers know best.
I would pick a shear stable xW30/xW40 for this application.
JMHO.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: Carguy21

Factory recommended 0W20 as mandated by CAFE is NOT meant for this application ..... whilst any (old) passenger vehicles on the road today are capable of it.
Yes, I heard it ..... that manufacturers know best.
I would pick a shear stable xW30/xW40 for this application.
JMHO.

When did cafe mandate 0w-20?

I am personally not against 0w-20 oil but in this engine I begin to question the reasons for it. It would be nice to hear the Honda engineers reasons for it. I agree with the 30 weight recommendations.

I'll be purchasing a new crossover in the fall. The Honda CRV was scratched off of our list specifically because of the engine. As a young senior citizen I don't need the headache.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 if available

Yes, as 901Memphis said, that is what I would do.

However, if the OM doesn't allow it and you have warranty concerns, then M1 or PP or Edge or Magnatec or SynPower 0W20. Whichever is cheapest at the store. Motul too, but that is usually very expensive around me.

Nothing wrong with getting the first one or two oil changes done by the dealer. I assume they use HGMO.

I would first of all, make sure you use a HTO-06 specced oil. What do you think about even pushing for a 5w40 or 5w40 HDEO? However, I doubt you will find an HTO-06 spec. on a 5w40 oil.

Last edited:
If your car is under warranty and you want to ensure they cover the turbo under warranty should it fail you need to use the oil specified in the manual. I would shorten the OCI and have the dealer change the oil.
Once you are out of warranty you can move to 5-30.

I would have no problems running 0w-20 there.

Remember, manufactures torture these things to make sure they hold up.

I recently had a 200K mile 5.4 singing along at 4K RPM for 5+ minutes towing up a hill on 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I recently had a 200K mile 5.4 singing along at 4K RPM for 5+ minutes towing up a hill on 5w-20.

Was that the Honda 5.4 turbo, or did Ford build a CR-V with an engine designated the 1.5T based on the 5.4 architecture ?

yesterday I ran 240mi. into a gusty 1/4 wind and did 41mpg, thats with 0W-40 and oversized tires at 32psi.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I would have no problems running 0w-20 there.

Remember, manufactures torture these things to make sure they hold up.

The engine in question puts out nearly double the torque per liter than your Ford V8 did. 1.955 times more actually.
Ford is all over the map when choosing oil viscosities in their V8's of the same architecture.

Just like the vast majority of cars the 0w-20 is "recommended", not required for warranty. I'd be comfortable with any DI friendly oil in the 5w-30 to 0w-40 range for your application. That motor holds less than 4qts, I don't like that!

My point is, there's no reason to NOT run what was recommended.

If the manufacturer recommends it, they have tested it. Sure, the engine may only go 400K on 0w-20 instead of 450K on 15w40 or 20w-50.

As what has been pointed out previously Honda no doubt torture tested this engine at full boost low and high rpm for enormous amounts of time and at the highest ambient temperatures expected with the recommended 5W20 oil.

Until you actually install an oil temp gauge and monitor both oil and coolant temp only then can you make an Educated guess on what oil viscosity should be run in these conditions, until then all your doing is making a decision because it "feels good". Do what you like though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back