2010 GMC Terrain- oil and fuel dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys- I've got a customer with the above mentioned Terrain with the 2.4 Ecotec which has direct injection. Long story short, I pulled the drain plug to check for water/coolant and found that the oil had a fair bit of fuel in it.

I looked on the computer for the last time I changed it and found it only had 4600 miles on it. I got authorization to change the oil, but instead of putting in a more expensive Dexos spec'ed oil and running by the OLM (my usual routine with this customer), I elected to put in Chevron Supreme 5w30 (synblend) and cut the OCI back to 3500 miles. Does this sound like an appropriate course of action?

2010 wasn't Dexos yet, but they are probably out of warranty anyhow.

Some had issues with the high pressure fuel pumps. Check for a TSB on it.

What are the driving habits of the owner, and what amount of fuel was in the oil?

Originally Posted By: TmanP
I'd say that I'd use a Dexos rated oil, as that's what GM requires.

It's my understanding that most of what Dexos is about- dealing with longer drains and the issues with them.
Since I'm recommending a 3500 mile OCI, there is no sense in her paying the premium for Dexos.

Originally Posted By: MedicRxDoc
2010 wasn't Dexos yet, but they are probably out of warranty anyhow.

Some had issues with the high pressure fuel pumps. Check for a TSB on it.

Actually it has the Dexos markings right on the fill cap. And yes, most definitely out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
What are the driving habits of the owner, and what amount of fuel was in the oil?

Dunno? College age girl, but very a responsible one. As for the fuel- again, I don't know. I could tell it was in the oil because it was black... not dark brown, but BLACK and it left a translucent residue which is common of gas and lastly, it smelled of it.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Looking at Chevron Supreme in Amazon shows no dexos logo on the bottle, yet Havoline has it. Strange.

No, it's not approved, which is why I put it in- because I didn't plan on doing an extended, OLM directed OCI. So no need for Dexos.

Sounds like high pressure fuel pump might be leaking, common on these engines. You might go to 10W30 next oil change, the 2.4 Eco's are hard on oil, shearing, oil dilution etc.

Does this one qualify for the timing chain and piston ring warranty extensions? Most 2010s do. If it does, I would use the required oil and make sure the PCM has the latest calibration (the calibration was revised to shorten the OLM interval).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back