Lube choices for 2014 Accord 3.5 liter J35Y1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found some new lubes at Walmart today. I had not seen these at our Walmart before.

Car calls for 0w20 API SN per my owner's manual. I would prefer all of the Euro certifications which I think I can get with this Pennzoil. I am tempted to run the PZoil 5w30 L. I will follow the maintenance minder with OEM 15400 filters. What say you all?

I wouldn't use a 5w with the tight tolerances.

you could use a 0w-20 or 0w-30 probably. I see no reason for you to move up to a 30 weight though, maybe if you live in a REALLY hot climate. But otherwise it's fine..

Originally Posted By: bcredeur97
I wouldn't use a 5w with the tight tolerances.

?????

The dude lives in California -

there is ZERO problem with going 5W- over a 0W-... none at all.

No need to pay extra for the Euro spec oil. Honda four's run well on almost anything, reportedly. Personally I prefer to use 5w-20 in my southern climate. Tolerances? We don't need no stinking tolerances!

You don't need a High Mileage oil until over 75k miles. Any 0w20 synthetic is fine.
The Pennzoil Euro L is too thick, and its low or mid saps, not great to use with our high sulphur gasoline in the U.S., although maybe California has low sulphur gasoline now.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
No need to pay extra for the Euro spec oil. Honda four's run well on almost anything, reportedly. Personally I prefer to use 5w-20 in my southern climate. Tolerances? We don't need no stinking tolerances!

That they do. Mine made it to around 573k on dealership bulk oil changes per the OLM at 7-9k before I took over doing the oil changes on it.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

That they do. Mine made it to around 573k on dealership bulk oil changes per the OLM at 7-9k before I took over doing the oil changes on it.

Sweet! I wonder what swill they were buying at 1,000 gallons at a time.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Sweet! I wonder what swill they were buying at 1,000 gallons at a time.

I do, too. I plan on asking next time I'm there. I think it's Gulf Synthetic Blend, but I could be wrong. I know that's what they used when they changed the oil on my girlfriend's old Civic when we brought it there a few years ago. It had a Honda OEM oil filter on both vehicles after they changed it, so I'm assuming that's what they used every time.

I do, too. I plan on asking next time I'm there. I think it's Gulf Synthetic Blend, but I could be wrong. I know that's what they used when they changed the oil on my girlfriend's old Civic when we brought it there a few years ago. It had a Honda OEM oil filter on both vehicles after they changed it, so I'm assuming that's what they used every time.
If you own a Nissan, Honda, Kia, etc. dealership, you can use any cheapo SN oil in existence, since those companies generally don't require anything better. A good business person in that position will just buy barrels of whatever they can get the cheapest that year. I guess they still need to stock some higher-spec oil (like HTO-06 oil for example) for when customers insist on better stuff or its simply required for a turbo engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back