Fram Ultra on diesel tractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram makes an Ultra for my John Deere sub compact tractor. It gets used very little,probably 25 hours a year. I'm going to start using synthetic oil in it and want to know if the Ultra filters would work on a diesel engine. It's one of the Yanmar engines. A 3TNV84T I believe.It's real stingy with the fuel so not a lot of soot generated.I've been using the JD filters with Dino oil and it stays clear on the dipstick. Just wanted to know if the Ultras would work. Anxious to hear your comments. Also wonder if I might be better off using Dino oil and a standard filter and just change the oil and filter more often.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Someone who has done it. The Ultra filters are cheaper than the JD filters and I can get them at Wal-Mart. Thanks

Yup, that is the good thing about the Ultra, good flow as well as high filtration.

As for which to follow (Syn and longer OCI or dino and shorter interval), it is hard to say.
Many of the HDEO are really stout even in their conventional formula.

How often are you changing now?

Few years now on my JD Yanmar Wix Gold and 5W40 syn doing yearly change think more important to make sure add biocide to fuel. Bio Kleen works well

Last edited:
Changing oil and filter every 18 months.(or 35 hours this go around) I do need to use the Biocide for the fuel. My tractor stays parked in my shop out of the weather but it's not heated or cooled. I was primarily concerned with the ability of the Ultra being able to flow adequately with the soot from the diesel with its high efficiency filtering rate. I used CAT DEO on the first OC and figured the synthetic oil might pick up a little faster than the 15-40 on the cold starts. Maybe I'm over thinking it. Thanks for the replies.

Oil filters are made for oil, doesn't matter the type of engine it's on. You do have to find the correct part number to make sure you get the size that fits your application.

Cheap insurance takes only one time you see black mold growing in the fuel filter .25oz per 5 gallons never a problem again. Low HR'S recipe for disaster it got me.

It's the one Fram calls for. Just trying to build a better rat trap. I've been a faithful user of Wix filters for a long time and have had good experiences but I've recently had a bad one.

Rotella is highly regarded here, conventional or synthetic. Pair that with the Ultra and you could probably do 2 years pretty easily. I would not worry about the Ultra in that time frame, especially since you said the oil looks pretty clean with the JD filter.

I've been using FRAM ultra filters on my 1986 John Deere 330 with the 16hp 3cyl yanmar diesel for years. They work great.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
I've been using FRAM ultra filters on my 1986 John Deere 330 with the 16hp 3cyl yanmar diesel for years. They work great.

I've been using a plain ol' PH3593 (and sometimes SuperTech or STP) on my Yanmar YM200 for years and years. No issues ever.

The Ultra will flow even better

I have used OEM and many different aftermarket filters on my tractor and never any issues. I do yearly oil changes with inexpensive filters these days. Either way, the oil eventually gets past the anti drain back valve since my filter is mounted horizontally.

Well I'm convinced that it will work. Like I said it doesn't darken the oil at all. The engine on my 4105 is turbocharged and clean oil is w priority. I just wasn't sure since Fram doesn't actually list the Ultra for it. The Yanmar engines are more like the compact auto diesel engines. Mine doesn't have the DPF.or EGR systems either so that should help with the cleanliness also. Thanks again for the encouraging replies.

used either Motorcraft 910-s or Bosch filter on my New holland naturally aspirated TC30, so far so good.

next time around its getting a Bosch Distance filter i really should cut the motorcraft apart next time i change the oil and see how it holds up.

I use Rotella 10w30 T5. i bought a bunch on sale.

when thats done i may switch to Chevron.

haven' decided whether i should go to 5w40 or stay with the 10w30

Originally Posted By: OLEJOE
... Also wonder if I might be better off using Dino oil and a standard filter and just change the oil and filter more often.

This depends on how you define "better off" ...

Yanmar engines in particular are very robust and reliable. They don't "need" any special treatment other than just decent routine maintenance.

How old is your JD? If it's still in warranty, then it's prudent to follow the OEM schedule (which is probably annual given your incredibly low hours stated). If not, then I'd suggest stretching out the OCIs to three years or four. I've done it and still do with my Kubota tractor. There is no reasonable fear in doing so (note that I said reasonable, and not BITOG panic induced ......).

You don't "need" a Fram Ultra either. Great filters, but not a necessity by any stretch for your application. A decent Wix/NG or even TG would do fine. Same goes for the syn; it's a total waste at your planned OCIs, and cannot even distinguish itself even after three or four years. Four years would be 100 hours; probably equivalent to a maximum of 6000 miles use. There is no syn made that is going to lessen wear versus a good dino oil in that duration; none whatsoever.

My point is that upping the ante with a premium filter and premium oil will not do one blessed thing in terms of reducing wear. Your use is so low that it's just moot. Your accumulated hours are so low that no decent product will ever become compromised. Heck even W/M ST dino HDEO and a reasonable normal filter will EASILY cover three years.

And as for the topic of O/FCIs "more often", there is a slew of evidence that shows frequent OCIs do NOT, in any manner whatsoever, reduce wear. In fact, frequent OCIs actually will have a slightly HIGHER wear rate. There is too much proof of this to ever debate it as an informed BITOGer.

I assure you with great certainty that your little Yanmar will be just fine with multi-year, dino drive, normally filtered products.

All that said, do what you want to do. Just realize that what you want and what the engine needs are often very different things.

Why not prove it to yourself?
Pick a set of products; do some UOAs.
Change up the products; do more UOAs.
Don't ask us. Tell us what you find out.

Last edited:
It's the one Fram calls for. Just trying to build a better rat trap. I've been a faithful user of Wix filters for a long time and have had good experiences but I've recently had a bad one.

Joe,
The Ultra filter is actually a great choice for the way you use your tractor. All quality name brand filters made today are blend of cellulose and synthetic glass fibers. The cellulose can break down over time, that is why many vehicle manufacturers will issue oil change instructions like "change oil every 10k or once a year, whichever comes first". Synthetic media filters will never break down in oil and can be left on a low hour vehicle for years without degradation. We see this with classic car owners. they drive 500 miles every summer and only change oil every 3-4 yrs. Filters containing cellulose are not made to be submerged in oil for that long.

Originally Posted By: Motorking

Joe,
The Ultra filter is actually a great choice for the way you use your tractor. All quality name brand filters made today are blend of cellulose and synthetic glass fibers. The cellulose can break down over time, that is why many vehicle manufacturers will issue oil change instructions like "change oil every 10k or once a year, whichever comes first". Synthetic media filters will never break down in oil and can be left on a low hour vehicle for years without degradation. We see this with classic car owners. they drive 500 miles every summer and only change oil every 3-4 yrs. Filters containing cellulose are not made to be submerged in oil for that long.

Joe, I would like to build on what Jay has already stated. Cellulose absorbs water and when it does, the mechanical strength is greatly reduced. So, life expectancy of a cellulose or cellulose - synthetic blend will depend on your operating conditions. If the oil sump gets to operating temperature every time you run the tractor then the accumulated moisture will boil off. If not, then it can collect in the cellulose media. Synthetic fibers do not absorb water. In a nutshell, the synthetic filter will maintain it's strength over the life of the oil while the cellulose filter might not depending on operating conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back