Whoops, used high mileage oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I don't know if it was a case of Autozone only had Valvoline Synpower High-Mileage in stock, but I didn't realize I had bought the high-mileage stuff for my fiancee's car of only 42,000 miles until AFTER I changed it. Darn those bottles look nearly identical. I'm thinking it won't make any difference, and in 5,000 miles or so when the OLM trips again it will be gone.

Last edited:
I think the consensus is that you are fine, and that high mileage oil can be used anytime, and that you can go back to any other oil after this OCI.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Well, I don't know if it was a case of Autozone only had Valvoline Synpower High-Mileage in stock, but I didn't realize I had bought the high-mileage stuff for my fiancee's car of only 42,000 miles until AFTER I changed it. Darn those bottles look nearly identical. I'm thinking it won't make any difference, and in 5,000 miles or so when the OLM trips again it will be gone.
i picked up 10Q of valvoline synpower HM 0W20 last month off the autozone $2 clearance shelf and plan on using it on my malibu for the next 2 oil changes at she only has 27.5K on her.

There is nothing wrong with using HM oil in a low-mileage car
smile.gif

Thanks! Figured it would be fine, it was more of a double take when I was cleaning up and saw the "high mileage" on the label.

You put perfectly good oil in it, so no "whoops" about it.

What OLM only gives 5000 miles ? That seems pretty low for any modern cars.

Some HM oils are simply have a slightly higher additive level. A good thing, and "tuners" often choose HM oils for the robust properties.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson

I was a little surprised too, it's a 2013 Equinox, 2.4 Ecotec. I've changed it the last two times, and her log showed we wrote down about 37000 when it was last done. My Traverse goes more like 8,000 before the OLM goes.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Originally Posted By: hallstevenson

I was a little surprised too, it's a 2013 Equinox, 2.4 Ecotec. I've changed it the last two times, and her log showed we wrote down about 37000 when it was last done. My Traverse goes more like 8,000 before the OLM goes.
8k on a 3.6? that's a lot.

Won't hurt a thing. I use it in my vehicles regardless of mileage. I have one with just 28k I've been using it in

Hi Dave,
Quick question. How do you feel the Synpower is working on your 2010 Traverse? I have a 2012.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: fafafooey
Hi Dave,
Quick question. How do you feel the Synpower is working on your 2010 Traverse? I have a 2012.

Thanks!

Couldn't say definitively, other than it doesn't consume much oil and I haven't seen the dreaded codes for cam position errors (i.e.: timing chain stretched). It has 156,000 miles on it so far. I figured it was worthwhile to make sure I went with something that was Dexos approved although it was built before Dexos was officially specified.

By putting high mileage oil in the car the odometer will now show 2 miles for every 1 driven.
Kills the resale value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back