92 Chevy C1500 5.0L 240K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got this truck, according to the sticker (and looking how clean it is) it was changed 200mi ago, but since I have no idea what with I intend to change it sooner than later.

I bought Wix 51060 and Valvoline Maxlife 10w-40. Is that cool? Or should I exchange it for something different. Thanks!

Last edited:
If the oil was changed 200 miles ago it should be fairly clean? If so you could let it go a while. No biggie if changed early also. If you have to add, a little mixing of oil is not a concern.

With an older truck, moderate coastal CA temps, the 10-40 oil should be fine. You could swing through the owner's manual or online equivalent to check reccomended viscosity, 10-30 would be in the running too.

Clearly the previous oil was good enough to get to this mileage but I enjoy changing my oil so may as well start with something I know is good.

It is definitely very clean so no hurry.

On the O'Reilly computer it said 5w-30, 30, and 10w-30, and that 10w-30 was the recommended.

I think the engine is original (they said trans was rebuilt, I'm not surprised because 240k on a 700r4 is probably impossible)

Originally Posted By: dogememe
...but since I have no idea what with I intend to change it sooner than later.

There's no logic to this.

ALL Modern API-"SN" oils are fantastic. Yes, even Super Tech (it's actually very good oil)

So no reason to be paranoid.

My dad's '97 Suburban (Vortec 350) was put on a diet of Maxlife 10w40 when he got it at 170K... and at 430,000 that engine runs just as well as the day he got it. So yes, that's a good choice.

Alright, so, I drove the truck for a good two hours on the highway at like 70+mph and when I got back the engine was definitely a little noisy. It doesn't sound bad, but it just seems that when it gets really warmed up from a long drive it kind of clatters. Oil pressure at idle at that point was about 15psi on the gauge. I'm going to change the oil soon to see if that helps, the truck mostly sat and did around town trips the last few years so maybe they were running a 5w-30 and it just got too thin. If after the oil change and another a long drive the noise comes back, would it be worth it to add some Lucas since it claims to "quiet noisy engines"?

At 240k, maybe it is expected to be a little noisy. I'd use your current fill for at least 2-3k miles before changing to your 10W-40 - just make sure you always monitor the oil level and keep it topped off.

Sounds like my old '94 5.7 Suburban, I ended up running 20W50 (horrors!) & it helped with the hot idle oil pressure, ran it until I sold it. I even put in STP Oil Treatment a couple of times before long summer vacation trips, didn't hurt it a bit.

If the engine seems noisy,maybe try the legendary quiet oil,Pennzoil yellow bottle conventional.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
10w-30 or 15w-40
Any particular reason you like 10w-30 and 15w-40 but not the in between of 10w-40??

10w-30 or 15w-40
Any particular reason you like 10w-30 and 15w-40 but not the in between of 10w-40??

Lower viscosity spread equals less VII equals lower noack. More shear stable. It doesn't need to be a 10w anyway, cold cranking is not a factor in your climate, so why not go with a stouter oil?

Last edited:
10w-30 or 15w-40

Lower viscosity spread equals less VII equals lower noack. More shear stable. It doesn't need to be a 10w anyway, cold cranking is not a factor in your climate, so why not go with a stouter oil?

makes sense. I'm going to roll with the maxlife 10w-40 i have, and send it for analysis to blackstone at the end, and see how it's doing, and just also listen to the engine. if it's at all unsatisfactory, or it ends up using oil, i'll go with 15w-40, since it's far cheaper than maxlife.

Those engines don't complain too much on what oil is fed to them - I maintain a '97 Tahoe for a friend and I dumped in whatever was on sale or special with a filter - it's seen Chevron and Shell 5W-30 and 10W-30.

Use the MaxLife, no sense in returning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back