Ghost ring retrofit on a rifle

JHZR2

Staff member
Found a good deal locally on a Mossberg MVP patrol rifle. Love bolt action guns especially if they share the same caliber as other rifles that I have. It has a nice red fiber-optic front sight, but the only thing I'm not crazy about is the rear sight.

I'm a big fan of how the ghost ring sight is employed on the Ruger gunsite scout rifle. The Mossberg is set up fairly similar to the gunsite scout, specifically in how its picatinny rail is set up forward if the action. The Ruger has the ghost ring aft of that, fwiw.

My interest would be in mounting a ghost ring rear site to the rail. My Colt 6920 M4 SA has a magpul MBUS flip up ghost ring that I really like.

So, what do I need to know about adding such an optic? Seems like there are options anywhere from $10 to $200.

FWIW, my main goal with these type of carbines is shooting from a standing position to hit paper or a metal target at 200 yards or less with reasonable accuracy. I like tracking how I shoot, but Ill not be measuring MOA much.

Is this viable, and is it just a matter of measuring the front sight and then using a micrometer to properly install the rear sight to an appropriate height?

Thanks!

I searched the MVP Patrol and didn't see any with a forward mounted rail, is this a custom rifle? The MVP Scout has a really long rail, on Mossberg's website it shows the Scout rifle with a ghost ring at the back of the rail. In the pics the front sight on the Patrol looks low to be able to mount a ghost ring on the rail but maybe the MVP Scout sight will work?

Hitting at 200 offhand with irons on a carbine is good shootin!

You're right. The MVP is over the action. My mistake. I don't have possession yet...

27738-catalog.jpg

The ruger is set up with a forward rail and separate aft sight.

tn_1-tfb.jpg

To be clear id be looking to add the sight to the rail if feasible on the Mossberg. Doesnt have to be the flip-up type like on my Colt, in fact, Id suspect it couldnt be due to height...

Hitting at 200 is all about the size of your target
wink.gif

Ive got decent eyes...

Look how the front sight and rear sight are aligned. A ghost ring would have to be in the same alignment. I suspect if you added a ghost ring to the rear rail, they would no longer be in alignment, and your shots would be WAY high. Might work for you if you are shooting at 800 yards and have a lot of bullet drop to contend with. Otherwise, I think you just need to be happy with the stock sight setup. Put a scope on it and the sights will be worthless anyways.

Last edited:
Thanks. That looks interesting.

I guess I'm just spoiled. The cz 527 carbine sights line up so nice, as do the ruger gunsite scout. I can make near cloverleafs with my Colt 6920 with iron sights. I like the red front sight on the mossberg, but not as much about the rear.

Out of curiosity, what would the considerations be if I stuck a trijicon acog on the rail? Like a TA01NSN? Since the rail on the mossberg is further back, I assume sight distance would be ok.

Granted I like shooting with iron sights, but just curious.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

So, what do I need to know about adding such an optic? Seems like there are options anywhere from $10 to $200.

Is this viable, and is it just a matter of measuring the front sight and then using a micrometer to properly install the rear sight to an appropriate height?

Thanks!

Its done all the time ( making or adapting custom sights)

Viable OTOH depends on the skills and resources you have to make a mount for the rail and adapt the sight of choice to it.

What to know to design any sight for any weapon is as follows:

Mechanical sights are line of sight between the eye level and the target so you need 2 points- the eye height and the aim point.

If you already have sights- set the elevator to mid point and measure centers from front to rear then to where the eye would be and do your trig out to 100 m ( which almost all standard sights are set to) ( someone already decided the rest)

If you had to do both- determine if you go with bore sight or impact sight at whatever range you want your median at ( that's what didn't happen in the example above because someone already did it)

This will make you decide on "point blank" because if sighted in to bore then the barrel is horizontal to the datum and the sight line will be tangent

If you sight on impact the barrel will be tangent ( thus the rise and fall of the bullet) and the sight will be straight to datum ( that's not always the case depending on the caliber, bullet and sighting range if starting from zero)

Since there are already sights- all that has done so you will be safe cloning it with a few thou difference on the other end of the receiver providing you have the facilities to make the rail adapter.

Back