Long time lurker. I've searched but need recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be baselining my wife's 14 cvt Forester this weekend and was looking at the Schaeffer's 293 gear oil for both front and rear diffs. Reading the description makes it seem like it's more biased towards otr rigs...
The car is primarily used as a daily driver, but sees a lot of city and stop and go driving when my wife has it. I tend to drive quite spiritedly when her and the baby aren't in the car, so it sometimes sees faster speeds on twisty roads.
I know I could use any old GL5 and be fine but I like to have better fluids just for piece of mind. Would the Schaeffer's work in this application or could I do better? The motul is out of my budget.

Oh and mods, I'm not sure if this is like most forums where and intro is required, but I did not see a section to post an intro.

293 is excellent gear oil I have run it for years in many apps as good as any on the market.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

You'll likely get numerous recommendations - here's mine: Schaeffer's is quality stuff, as long as it is the right viscosity for your differentials it will give great service.

Chevron

PDS

Awesome and is under $6.00 qt. Use in one of our Subies w over 150,000 miles. Smooth and quiet as new Why pay more?

I have been using Delo Syn-Gear XDM SAE 75W-90 on the 07 but I believe was discontinued Worked great and was a buck less!

Thanks for the fast responses!
As of now I can get the 293 for 13.50/qt, which is what I'm leaning towards. I ran Schaeffer's in my power stroke and loved it.
I'm going to price amsoil at Napa tomorrow.

I haven't seen a specified weight which is why I'm assuming 75w90. The only spec I've been able to find is GL5.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Chevron

PDS

Awesome and is under $6.00 qt. Use in one of our Subies w over 150,000 miles. Smooth and quiet as new Why pay more?

I have been using Delo Syn-Gear XDM SAE 75W-90 on the 07 but I believe was discontinued Worked great and was a buck less!

That sounds like a good deal !! Did you have to find a local Chevron distributor in your area or did you get it on sale at the auto parts store ?

Sorry for the hijack. :--)

That synthetic delo has been $5.99 at AutoZone for years. Right next to the dino version for $6.99 if I remember right. I buy a bottle every time I go there expecting the price to be fixed.

Well I went to 4 parts stores today and could not find any delo syn gear oil. Amsoil was $17/qt. I think I'll give the Schaeffer's a shot.
Will let you all know how it goes.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Redline and Amsoil make the best gear oils if you ask me

Concur and lean more towards Amsoil SVG/SVT. Both are excellent but I like Amsoil!!

You obviously aren't familiar with Schaeffer's product line...

As long as the 293 meets Subaru specs, you're GTG.

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob

You obviously aren't familiar with Schaeffer's product line...

As long as the 293 meets Subaru specs, you're GTG.

Agree with you in 293's superb specs for components protection.
Schaeffer claims 80W90 with a very high KV@40*C of 180-251 cSt, I would consider 293 as SAE 80W-110.
Hence no xW90 of Redline/Amsoil can match in protection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back