entering canada with driving record

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've had the itch to go to Canada for quite some time, and have a couple weeks coming up in a few months where I would like to. I have
reckless driving on my record. (2013). Did a wheelie on a halfway busy highway after work (1 sec wheelie). Cop got me. I admitted I was wrong, bored, practicing. I admit that. Went to court, thinking it was my first offense, no record, judge wasnt having it. Kept my license, got a few points, $700 fine. Immediately got rid of my bike after that ( was being alot more stupid, didnt want to risk my life). No tickets since, bike or car.

I know Canada border patrol is picky, all depends on whos working. Being this was almost 4 years ago, I have nothing sense, should I be ok to get in? I plan on flying in, I wouldn't be driving rental car. Either my friend would, or uber etc. I havn't pulled my background check to see if it would show up, sure it will, its a misdemeanor in Georgia, but it shows as the following on my driving record straight from the DMV

Description: UNSAFE OPERATION OF MOTORCYCLE
Violation Date: 10/21/2013
Accident Involved: No
Commercial Offense: No
Hazardous Material: No
Disposition Date: 12/17/2013
Disposition: CONVICTED
Jurisdiction: GA
Court: GLYNN STATE COURT

Description: RECKLESS DRIVING
Violation Date: 10/21/2013
Accident Involved: No
Commercial Offense: No
Hazardous Material: No
Disposition Date: 12/17/2013
Disposition: CONVICTED
Jurisdiction: GA

Am I better off just planning a vacation elsewhere, 'just in case'?

I know no one here is going to know for sure, but google is turning on multiple answers and opinions from other people

Thanks

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I'm curious why you believe that you would.

My boss drove to Canada, and he has a reckless driving, and he said he basically got interrogated at the gate when they ran his license and saw that. He made it through, but said it was up to each officer.

and Google

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I believe Canada refuses people with DUIs. Can someone verify?

Yes, Its only DUI. Third world terrorists are OK, its the drinking they're worried about.

After 10 years its OK. You can apply for a waiver after 2 years.

I never produce my license when crossing Canadian border. They peek at passport and let me go.

I am glad the Canadians keep folks like you on your toes.

You should just wheelie right past the checkpoint.
One hand on the handlebars, other hand holding a big American flag.

And be sure a friend gets a photo.
Wouldn't want to upset the "pics or it didn't happen" crowd.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
dont lie to them

This is the way to go; tell them yes, and the story you put in above - you were stupid and learned your lesson, selling the bike immediately after...

Just call and ask. I doubt its an issue. Leave your guns at home. DUI doesn't go over well. Just don't lie.

I cross the border all the time. Don't lie and treat the border guard with respect. It always goes well on either side of the border.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I believe Canada refuses people with DUIs. Can someone verify?

Generally, yes, or at least it does tend to happen. That's a Criminal Code charge in Canada, and we're vigilante about letting in potential impaired drivers. We don't do as well preventing our own, though, at least in this province.
wink.gif
Turtle is right, so I don't have to say it.

With people crossing with driving issues, the problem is here that several driving infractions can be both provincial ticket matters or federal Criminal Code matters, depending upon how the officer at the time handled it. Things like drag racing, that Chris mentioned, or reckless driving, driving while suspended, all those sorts of things could be charged either way up here, so it's kind of a strange thing.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as the person is a legitimate U.S. citizen without a felony record or on current probation or parole or bail (i.e. and shouldn't be leaving the U.S. in the first place), and lacks previous border infractions, it shouldn't be treated as such a big deal. Like Turtle points out, we seem to give an inordinate amount of scrutiny to an ordinary American crossing the border who did something a little foolish in his youth, yet have a lot more cursory checks when they're from elsewhere.

Sure, a lot of that is logistical and a matter of convenience, since accessing a person's NCIC or DMV record for Canadian law enforcement officials is fairly trivial.

You should get a passport to get in. I know you can bring a birth certificate, proof of citizenship(what is that exactly?!)etc, would be less hassle for everyone involved to just have a passport. You're flying(little disappointed at how many did not read your entire post!sheesh) so you will produce your passport at the airport where you are flying from.
Lots of old info in some of these responses, including mine.

I would call them to be absolutely sure.

Last edited:
My cousin tried driving across the border a couple years ago - he had a DUI a few years earlier. They tore his car apart and turned him around back to the US.

I'm guessing if he had flown, they'd let him right through customs and direct him to the rent a car center to pick up a rental car.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: 555
You should get a passport to get in. I know you can bring a birth certificate, proof of citizenship(what is that exactly?!)etc, would be less hassle for everyone involved to just have a passport. You're flying(little disappointed at how many did not read your entire post!sheesh) so you will produce your passport at the airport where you are flying from.
Lots of old info in some of these responses, including mine.

I would call them to be absolutely sure.

Quite!! Although Canada may let you in without a passport, the US will NOT let you return without it....before 9/11 you just needed a driver's license...

They will ask if you have ever been arrested, DUI is a criminal offence in Canada so it is considered a criminal record. As long as you were not arrested for your driving convictions you should be OK. If they are asking the question they already know the answer, as stated before be honest. We have the same issue with DUI entering the USA. You can have entry denied even with a pardon. As mentioned above get a passport, you have to have one to fly anyway.

It's not up to the individual CBSA officer. There are very clear laws about which crimes makes someone inadmissible to Canada, much like the US. Yes, a DWI is usually one of these.

Don't rely on internet strangers to answer this. Contact the closest Canadian Consulate via written letter that includes a copy of your criminal record that you obtained from Georgia.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
It's not up to the individual CBSA officer. There are very clear laws about which crimes makes someone inadmissible to Canada, much like the US. Yes, a DWI is usually one of these.

Don't rely on internet strangers to answer this. Contact the closest Canadian Consulate via written letter that includes a copy of your criminal record that you obtained from Georgia.

It only took a dozen or so responses for someone to actually post correct information. Thank you.

As a general rule, at least 5 years must have elapsed between the expiration of any imposed sentence before Canadian authorities are satisfied that you've been rehabilitated. It falls under the Canadian Immigration Act; however there are provisions to permit discretionary entry. An adjudicator or senior immigration officer can grant entry to someone who would otherwise be ineligible. The authorizations to enter Canada are:

1. Deemed Rehabilitation: This is done at the Canadian port of entry.
2. Streamlined Rehabilitation: This is done at the Canadian port of entry.
3. Approval of Rehabilitation: This is done at the Canadian Consulate in the United States.
4. Temporary Resident Permit: This is done at the Canadian Consulate in the United States.

The advice to contact the Canadian Consulate is correct-find out what needs to be done before you arrive at the port of entry, and when/if you do arrive be prepared with all of the paperwork you'll need.

A much better solution is to keep your driving/criminal/background record clean in the first place. Then you can travel anywhere in the world you like without worrying about getting denied entry. And never, ever lie on any application, declaration, or to any port of entry official. Read the paperwork and understand each question and answer everything truthfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back