w108 Mercedes 1970 280sel Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 1970 280sel and need a battery.

The battery I just removed is a Group 41 battery but most websites indicate that my car calls for a Group 48 battery. Group 48 looks to be too large.

I have an old Group 48 battery in the garage that I tried to fit on my w108 and it did not fit, too large. It was making contact with the Master Cylinder.

Not sure if someone previously replaced the original battery tray to my w108.
The battery tray is welded on to the body of the car. A small metal lip sticks out of the tray and the metal lip with an opening seems to keep the battery from moving around. The battery tray loses approximately 1 3/4" in length because of the lip. If the raised metal lip is bent down the battery still does not fit because it rubs against the Master Cylinder

Can anyone here shed some light on the correct battery size for my 1970 280 SEL.

The battery tray measures 12" Long X 7" Wide.
The battery that I just removed measures 11.5" Long X 6 3/4" Wide X 6 3/4 Height.

Who makes a good battery for these cars

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Sadly in the last few years alot of group sizes were discontinued. I work on cars such as yours and often have to do tray and holder modifications for new batteries to work. I will gladly look in my interstate catalog tomorrow for you though to see if there is a better choice.

The battery tray measures 12" long by 7" wide so it looks like a Group 41 battery fits.

Now need to find out who makes a good battery for a car that is driven 3 times a month and is mostly stored in the garage

Looks like Group# has nothing to do with size.

I saw a group 48 Interstate that fits the battery tray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back