New Kia Optima

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have to do a repair on my old Elantra and I think the cost may outweigh the worth of it. Looking at new cars ( just in case
laugh.gif
) The new Optimas are a great price with lots of features. Any concerns?

The values of Hyundai and Kia drop rapidly. Look into slightly used, you might be able to find a high trim level for real cheap. My 2015 Sonata in February was $9,990.

The Optima and the Sonata are basically the same car with a different skin, I haven't really heard of any major issues with them.

The sorting out of the GDI system would be my only concern with that car.

Get a car with a sorted out DI system... time to look at a Mazda 6. Then again, I'm biased
19.gif

I have a KIA Sorento with a 2.4 GDI engine, pushing 90k, with no apparent engine issues. No oil burning. But like anything else, a percentage will report on issues as well those without. Be more concerned with a model with an engine that falls into the recall years.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Don't buy anything Korean with direct fuel injection.

I just did-2017 Hyundai Santa Fe long wheel base. It's a great CUV and I see no cause for concern.

I have heard of zero issues with Hyundai GDI. Not that I've been looking for them but it seems like a non-problem. I'll be doing a UOA for my car this weekend.

There was a manufacturing problem with earlier American made Hyundia/Kia GDI engines, that is covered under warranty and recall. But, not with the GDI design.

One of my local dealers has new optimas listed at 20k with "$5,000 for your trade in any condition" bringing the price down to 15k which is the same price for a slightly used one at carmax. I'm worried the dealer might be running a scam / false advertising though.

Like the Buick Encore right?

I love to say it, but it seems to me that GM and the Korean makes were the ones who got direct injection "correct" and do not have the issues that plague other makes (cough VW, cough BMW). Ford is close behind but their DI and "Ecoboost" turbo might be causing other issues when combined... Anyway, worrying about a Korean GDi engine is like freaking out of the Y2K bug. It is a non issue and GDi is, for the most part, a non-issue for post 2010 cars.

Granted, I have only had my Hyundai GDi vehicle for a bit over a year and other than the "tick" of the injectors when you are outside the vehicle, nothing else is is anything that even approaches a concern. It is a darn good car so far...

Hyundai/Kia did recall a lot of 2011/2012 vehicles due to debris in the manufacturing process that affected the GDi process (and thus the internet thinks it is GDi in the GDi engines). Still, it is not a rare recall, was still mostly under warranty, and is a a GDi issue.

Last edited:
My parents have a 2015 Sonata with well over 100k on it. They also towed a single axel trailer packed with household items for 15,000 miles with it. The only issue they have had was one bad wheel bearing that was covered under warranty.

I personally wouldn't be scared of a Hyundai or Kia gdi vehicle. They make pretty darn good cars nowadays!

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I personally wouldn't be scared of a Hyundai or Kia gdi vehicle....

Nor would I. They're great looking, feeling and driving vehicles IMO. You certainly don't see wide spread issues with them and their sales floors are always bustling. What I don't like about them is what they cost new. They're almost Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mazda, etc.. range. For me, it's tough not to go where the resale value is.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: ram_man
I personally wouldn't be scared of a Hyundai or Kia gdi vehicle....

Nor would I. They're great looking, feeling and driving vehicles IMO. You certainly don't see wide spread issues with them and their sales floors are always bustling. What I don't like about them is what they cost new. They're almost Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mazda, etc.. range. For me, it's tough not to go where the resale value is.

True-however most on BITOG are not "frequent traders" and resale value SHOULD BE a non-issue. As I mentioned above-I just bought a new 2017 Santa Fe long wheelbase for my wife. We expect to keep it for a long time. The Subaru-BTW (2012 Legacy fully loaded.) depreciation came out to about $300.00/month-based on the generous trade in the Hyundai dealer gave us.

Last edited:
If I do end up trading in, I would definitely be keeping the vehicle until "the wheels fall off" like I am trying to do with my Elantra. It only has 90k on it but I think to properly fix the clock spring issue I am having (gone bad three times in two years) I will have to replace the steering column and I'm not sure the vehicle is worth the cost of that.

Resale only works when the car you have is highly valued and the car you want is really heavily discounted. Otherwise, you constantly trade-in for the same high-value car, then you will never really see that resale bump. Now, if you trade from a low-value car to an in-demand car, ouch!

Let us take Subaru vs Hyundai. I was in that position as my 1 & 2 choice was between Subaru (WRX) and Hyundai (GenCoupe).

Subarus are selling. A $30K Subier night sell for its MSRP or darn near it. I know my Subie dealers are greedy right now. Lets just say you talked a Subie down a $1000 OTD.

Compare that with a Hyundai dealer with a $30K MSRP vehicles that is slower to sell. I talked my dealer down $4500 OTD on my Ginny with a few dealer 'installed' freebies (trunk mat, first aid kit).

Ok, lets do the math!

• A $30k WRX with $1K discount will keep 51% of its MSRP value over 5 years. So, you lose $14K over 4 years in the Subie. This is one of the best resale car values too!
  • A 30k Gen Coupe with a $4,500 discount will only keep 36% of its MSRP value (ouch)... but you didnt get it for MSRP. You got it for $25,500 and now it is worth $11K... so you lost $14,500!

So there is $500 in difference! That only applies if you pay cash. (and taxes/insurance will slightly skew it towards the Hyundai's favor over time)

But wait, there is more!!!!!

Finance Charges. You will pay $2200 over 5 years (@2.9%) on a $29,000 loan compared to $1,900 for the 25,500 option. Thus that resale difference if you completely borrow the full amount is about $200 and that will cover the tax. Now, Hyundai will give me $500-1,000 in bonus cash as a owner, etc.

Now, what is this *perk* of resale you speak of?

Holding their resale value normally pays off when vehicles are 10/15yo+ vehicles. So a 2002/2005 junker bought for $5,000 with 150,000 miles are driven a few years and sold at 200K miles for $5,000 is where the "resale is at. Normally these are real utility vehicles, trucks and other things doing the real "work". Most CUVs/Sedans will not be like this. They will fall to $500-$1500 and remain until the junk yard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Resale only works when the car you have is highly valued and the car you want is really heavily discounted. Otherwise, you constantly trade-in for the same high-value car, then you will never really see that resale bump. Now, if you trade from a low-value car to an in-demand car, ouch!

Let us take Subaru vs Hyundai. I was in that position as my 1 & 2 choice was between Subaru (WRX) and Hyundai (GenCoupe).

Subarus are selling. A $30K Subier night sell for its MSRP or darn near it. I know my Subie dealers are greedy right now. Lets just say you talked a Subie down a $1000 OTD.

Compare that with a Hyundai dealer with a $30K MSRP vehicles that is slower to sell. I talked my dealer down $4500 OTD on my Ginny with a few dealer 'installed' freebies (trunk mat, first aid kit).

Ok, lets do the math!

• A $30k WRX with $1K discount will keep 51% of its MSRP value over 5 years. So, you lose $14K over 4 years in the Subie. This is one of the best resale car values too!
  • A 30k Gen Coupe with a $4,500 discount will only keep 36% of its MSRP value (ouch)... but you didnt get it for MSRP. You got it for $25,500 and now it is worth $11K... so you lost $14,500!

So there is $500 in difference! That only applies if you pay cash. (and taxes/insurance will slightly skew it towards the Hyundai's favor over time)

But wait, there is more!!!!!

Finance Charges. You will pay $2200 over 5 years (@2.9%) on a $29,000 loan compared to $1,900 for the 25,500 option. Thus that resale difference if you completely borrow the full amount is about $200 and that will cover the tax. Now, Hyundai will give me $500-1,000 in bonus cash as a owner, etc.

Now, what is this *perk* of resale you speak of?

Holding their resale value normally pays off when vehicles are 10/15yo+ vehicles. So a 2002/2005 junker bought for $5,000 with 150,000 miles are driven a few years and sold at 200K miles for $5,000 is where the "resale is at. Normally these are real utility vehicles, trucks and other things doing the real "work". Most CUVs/Sedans will not be like this. They will fall to $500-$1500 and remain until the junk yard.

Good post. Puts the "resale" myth to rest. BTW-your right...Subaru is selling all the vehicles they make these days-not much reason for the dealers to do you any favors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back