Hot Ignition / Key

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I got home from work today I noticed that the ignition key for my 08 Elantra was hot. I then went to touch the ignition and it was very hot. I have about a 9 mile drive one way and it didn't happen this morning. Any ideas? The Airbag light is on, suspected clock spring went bad, 3rd time in about two years.

sounds like a high - resistance connection in your ignition switch. odd though, because the electrical portion is usually removed from the switch - although I have no direct experience with Hyundai's. If the electrical portion of the switch is actually by the key, I would replace the ignition switch.

My 2007 yaris sedan does the same thing. The key hole and key gets really hot! Especially in the summer. Any cause for concern?

Somehow its carrying a high current.Thats the job of relays.Maybe something is grounded out?

If you use the tilt on the steering wheel a lot, over time it can cause the wiring harness to the ignition switch to wear out. The wires themselves or the connections break or become loose and cause a short.

Further investigation is needed. Most of the time the ignition switch is at the bottom of the steering column, mechanically connected from the keylock with a rod. It would take a long time for heat to transfer from the switch, up the rod to the key. It would likely be hotter near the switch if it had high internal resistance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fordai
The Airbag light is on, suspected clock spring went bad, 3rd time in about two years.

I think that you found the problem.

Also worth mentioning is that the steering wheel's "home" position is canted to the left. This was caused by a wreck that occurred before I owned the vehicle. I think that may have something to do with the clock spring going bad so frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back