Comparison of cylinder and fuel injection cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.
MolaKule posted: "I have found that Coleman lantern fuel or its equivalent is one of the best fuel system solvents and it's fairly mild, since it contains pure white octane (fuel gasoline) and naptha."

Any suggested dosage rate?
fruit.gif

I've used just about every OTC product with no problems. Maybe everyone should, once in a while, read the directions on the bottle.

Doesn't gasoline usually contain 5-35% toluene? Adding more as a cleaner seems to be a waste. Gasoline is excellent at dissolving tar.

Guess that explains intake valve deposits.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ebaker:
Doesn't gasoline usually contain 5-35% toluene? Adding more as a cleaner seems to be a waste. Gasoline is excellent at dissolving tar.

Quote:

Can you ues these solvents (xylene,toulene.Etc) in diesel fuel to clean the injectors

Seeing as diesel fuel is used to also lube the entire injector system I would sugest not adding them. There are plenty great additives that are diesel safe mostly because they are 75% highly refined diesel fuel which is the carrier for the additves.

Took a gander at the FPPF products, the base product for diesels is 95% glycol ether, and in some of the other products for diesels seem to contain fairly large percentages of xylene, toulene etc.

Remember that using a High-octane product will lower your cetane, which is what you want in your fuel. You need to way the loss of cetane against the possible increase in cleaning. Maybe you should look into bio of veg oil for cleaning instead.

This thread was started many years ago and by now I am sure there are some really good new injector cleaners to consider. Here is a list of some I wouldn't mind reading comments about.

Seafoam Motor treatment
Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel system cleaner
Royal Purple Max-Clean fuel system cleaner
Techron Complete fuel system cleaner
STP Ultra Fuel System cleaner
STP Super concentrated fuel injector cleaner
BG 44k Fuel system cleaner
Lucas Upper cylinder lubricant with injector cleaners
Lucas Deep clean fuel system cleaner
LubeGard Fuel system booster/cleaner
Liqui Moly Jectron Fuel Injection Cleaner

Has there been any recent compilation lists for additives, strength, ingredients besides the OP from 15 years ago. Would love to see something for recent times. If anyone has a link let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back