2017 Ford Expedition 3.5L EB 1338mi Factory fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my wife's new rig. She drives it 90% in-town, stop and go, short distances (school, grocery, etc). It will get some distance towing this summer.

More of a curiosity sample here, knew the metals would be high etc but wanted a starting point. Not sure what the oil is but it's getting changed free at dealer today then I'm switching at about 5k miles, probably to Edge.

Code:

MICHAEL: Thanks for the info. This is the factory fill of oil, so high metals and silicon are expected. The

metal is the result of new parts building tolerances, and the silicon is from sealers used during assembly.

This residual material should wash out over the next few oil changes, until we get results close to universal

averages, which show typical wear for the 3.5L EcoBoost with ~6,000 miles on the oil. A little fuel showed

up, but 1.0% isn't concerning. The TBN is still good at 3.8, so add a couple thousand miles to this fill before

changing it to help clear out lingering wear-in.

MAKE/MODEL: 2017 Expedition 3.5L EcoBoost

OIL Ford Factory

MILES IN USE 1338

MILES 1338

SAMPLE TAKEN 4/14/17

ALUMINUM 15

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 27

COPPER 100

LEAD 1

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 70

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 18

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 11

BORON 165

SILICON 261

SODIUM 9

CALCIUM 1728

MAGNESIUM 9

PHOSPHORUS 640

ZINC 659

BARIUM 1

SUS VIS 210?F 49.6

cSt @ 212?F 7.14

FLASHPOINT F 355

Fuel% 1.0

Antifreeze% 0

WATER% 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2

TBN 3.8

The iron and aluminum numbers really aren't that bad, considering it's the factory fill.

Good additive package - looks like the oil had a lot of life left.

He's right about going longer on the next change to help speed up break-in.

Factory fill UOA's usually look frightening, but not an indication of future UOA's. While the oil has "life" left in it it also has lots of contaminants floating in it. I don't believe Ford uses any special break in oil so a reasonable first OC, like you did, and not by the OLM is a good idea for the first oil change if you intend to keep the vehicle for a LONG time. We changed my wife's 2017 Explorer 2.3 EB at 2,000 miles and will do two 5,000 mile OC's then do an UOA to see the condition of the oil and wear metals.

Whimsey

Viscosity KV100 is very low for whats supposed to be a 5w30 or 0w30. Thats even low for most 0w20 oils. kv100=7.14, and, for example, Mobil1 AFE 0w20 is 8.7 ....
I'm thinking they put in the wrong oil grade at the factory. With your 1% fuel dilution, not unusual for an EB, that would drop KV100 a tad, but not that much. And no way those low miles were enough to shear the VII.

Originally Posted By: zeng
I 'believe' this FF is MC 5W30.
A multigrade typically shears ... more so with turbo.

In a mere 1300 miles? No. Takes longer than that. It SHOULD be 5w30 or 0w30. Its not.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Viscosity KV100 is very low for whats supposed to be a 5w30 or 0w30. Thats even low for most 0w20 oils. kv100=7.14, and, for example, Mobil1 AFE 0w20 is 8.7 ....
I'm thinking they put in the wrong oil grade at the factory. With your 1% fuel dilution, not unusual for an EB, that would drop KV100 a tad, but not that much. And no way those low miles were enough to shear the VII.

That is one major value on this report that really stood out to me as well, which is why I am glad it's getting changed out sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back