Which 0w20 for Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 09' Camry gets whichever Dino is cheapest which is QSGB 5w30
wink.gif

Just about any 0w20 will work fine, but I'm a fan of Pennzoil Ultra personally. I've been a user in my wife's Fusion since around 2011/2012... had to do some work under the valve cover recently (has just under 100k miles)... it was spotless. I've had a couple UOA's done as well - and the wear rates have been below universal averages. Due to this - I use it in my Prius as well... and am hoping for similar long term success.

Who am I to argue against 0w20 oils. As testament to some of the posters when it works well it works very well. Better than a slightly heavier oil that's up to debate. The problem I have is the outliers in certain applications. High oil consumption, ring deposits and the like. The question for me is what's that dividing line between too thin and too thick. I just don't buy that any oil less than 3.5 hths would be in the thick category. With that a 5/10w30 oil within the GF-5 classification still may be the better option.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: lukejo
When I'd check this car for a friend, it would be 1/2 quart low at 8-9k....so very little consumption.

If the oil level was right in between the "full" and "add" marks then it was really close to a full quart low. When Toyota went to 10k oil changes(back in 2010 I believe with the Camry) the calibration with the dipstick was changed. So when the oil level is on the "add" mark it's really close to two quarts low.

So are you saying that they recommend 1/2 quart more oil in the sump?

I have been running Mobil 1 sometimes the extended performance or just the regular Mobil 1 in My Tundra and my Wifes Rav4 the truck is a 2010 and the Rav is a 2012. Neither vehicle has had any oil related issues.

That Toyota 2.5 is as tough as nails.
Had a relative recently who ran the engine dry due to a clogged pick-up screen----more on this one later when i can learn how to post pictures. At 135 K miles, I'm maintaining it now, and just added a mix of VR Racing 20-50 & Lubro-Moly yesterday.
Unbelievably, it is running fine
Steve

When I'd check this car for a friend, it would be 1/2 quart low at 8-9k....so very little consumption.

If the oil level was right in between the "full" and "add" marks then it was really close to a full quart low. When Toyota went to 10k oil changes(back in 2010 I believe with the Camry) the calibration with the dipstick was changed. So when the oil level is on the "add" mark it's really close to two quarts low.

Nonsense. One doesn't calibrate a dipstick. Stick with the manufactures recommendation for the year of said vehicle.

Between Low and Full is 1.6 quarts, please see the manual.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Based upon what I've garnered here, I'd use either M1 EP or AFE. Both of these oils have been well documented as having significant Grp IV content, as compared to the strictly Grp III TGMO. This yields excellent W viscosity numbers, particularly as compared to TGMO.
Buy some before the end of this month and you can get a $12.00/jug MIR on up to two jugs.

I've never understood the difference between M1 EP & AFE, other than EP is 5k miles and AFE is 10k. Maybe a little more TBN in EP?

The additive levels are different for EP, but the TBN is about the same. There are examples in the VOA library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back