How long does a cam belt really last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I've had a chain break at 75k miles in the past and on my Gen Coupe the chain is stretched and will need replacing soon.

That's more of a reason to avoid Hyundai then it is to avoid timing chains.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I've had a chain break at 75k miles in the past and on my Gen Coupe the chain is stretched and will need replacing soon.

That's more of a reason to avoid Hyundai then it is to avoid timing chains.
The chain that broke was not on a Hyundai.

I've also had a belt break on my 80's something 4 cly Ford Mustang with no damage.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Quint 315K I'm impressed! that is 6X the recommended BMW interval. Is it an interference engine ?

Luckily no, which is really the only reason it was allowed to go so long. It was my dads car at the time and he is a notorious procrastinator. I had been warning him literally for years that we need to change it asap, and it was always "we'll do that next month" or "lets wait until the weather warms up" or whatever. Leading up to the failure it started to become a game of "lets see how long it will last". He always said he has AAA, if it lets go he'll have it towed to a Toyota dealer and he'll just buy another Corolla. Which is exactly what happened.

I had it towed from the dealer to my house... a new belt, idler, crank sensor, crank pulley, and water pump and my kids have put almost another 50,000 miles on it since.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I don't think its a problem. Today they have some amazing compounds that oil doesn't effect them just look at modern engine seals. other compounds resist brake fluid and coolants sometimes for 20 years or more even though the parts live in these fluids.

Originally Posted By: cronk
The Honda GCV lawn mower engines have been using a timing belt that is running in the oil for some time now with no issues.

Hmm, good to know. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back