Catalytic converter for an 01 Nissan Sentra 2.0 SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellas...i don't know whether to laugh or cry. Just spent 600.00 for new motor mounts..now that the engine is quiet I can hear the catalytic converter rattling. lol. 😞
632.00 for the for OEM. any thoughts about aftermarket? Good or bad?

Last edited:
I went for a universal one when the one on my old 97 Jeep went. Wasn't bad but not just plug and play as needed some minor alteration of pipes to fit and placement of sensor

Well no aftermarket converter lasts as long as OEM, but they figure that by the time you need to replace the converter, you're not going to keep it much longer. Rockauto sells them in the $160-$200 range. They all have a 5 year 50k warranty so maybe the car won't last much longer than that. Also are you sure it's the cat? Normally you get some code if that's the issue. The rattle could just be the heat shield.

Last year I installed an Eastern Catalytic direct fit; I replaced the rest of the exhaust also.

Not 1 issue with the install or performance; car got peppier too (lol); it was about $230 IIRC.

Quote:

Well no aftermarket converter lasts as long as OEM, but they figure that by the time you need to replace the converter, you're not going to keep it much longer.

I believe the performance of OEM ones are held to a higher standard than replacement ones. It isn't really decided by anyone.

Here is some infor for the OP

http://www.easterncatalytic.com/education/tech-tips/

Last edited:
Aftermarket cats can sometime cause a check engine light. It depends if your car was built to California emission standards. Most aftermarket cats are not built to this so even if it's working correctly your rear O2 might tell the computer it's not working well enough. You can check the emissions tag under your hood and purchase accordingly

It was built in Tennessee ..my bad..CA specifications right? Doesn't matter what state it was built in.

Last edited:
Walker and Eastern are good cats and they certainly don't cost $600
smile.gif

You should also replace the oxygen sensors at the same time. Denso and NGK/NTK are good brands.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Last year I installed an Eastern Catalytic direct fit; I replaced the rest of the exhaust also.

Not 1 issue with the install or performance; car got peppier too (lol); it was about $230 IIRC.

Quote:

Well no aftermarket converter lasts as long as OEM, but they figure that by the time you need to replace the converter, you're not going to keep it much longer.

I believe the performance of OEM ones are held to a higher standard than replacement ones. It isn't really decided by anyone.

Here is some infor for the OP

http://www.easterncatalytic.com/education/tech-tips/

Yeah I recall reading that they can make them a little cheaper because they're only required to last 5/50k as opposed to OEM which is typically 8/80k or more.

But if you changed the upstream O2 sensor and you're not getting a CEL light, then I wouldn't bother. That rattle could be some other exhaust part. Most people end up replacing the cats when they get a CEL light, not before.

Does your county in Illinois do smog checks?

If not, just cut it out and swap a piece of pipe in it's place and drive it.

If the factory CC is working and not setting a check engine light, I wouldn't replace it even if it rattled some. You'll probably be into it a lot more than ~$630. I'd try to snug some big worm-gear clamps around it to see if that quiets it, if it bugs you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back