ROTELLA FOR GAS ENGINES

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the general consensus regarding using the newly formulated Rotalla T6 or the syn-blend T5 in gas engines?
I have been running the T6 in my VTX 1330R for the past 20,000 or so miles but I am a little leery to use it now that it has been reformulated.

Thanks.

I certainly don't intend to stop using it in my vintage V8s and Jeep 4.0's. We're already "off label" on those engines in so many ways, that the ratings carried by the oils don't matter in the least. Its the actual formulation and protection that matters.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Rotella T5 in 10w30 and T6 multi vehicle oil are the only duel rated Rotella oil for gas & Diesel engines. ed

I was thinking that the T6 (full syn 5w40) did not carry the API S rating any longer, only the C rating for diesel engines.

They do list a "Multi vehicle" T6 oil. Ed

I Googled T6 multi vehicle and only saw 10w30. I need 5 or 10w40. Look's like I'll be using some thing else.

Thanks.

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 still carries gas SN certifications as does DELO synthetic I think.

No JASO mention though.

Originally Posted By: TOMJ
They do list a "Multi vehicle" T6 oil. Ed

I Googled T6 multi vehicle and only saw 10w30. I need 5 or 10w40. Look's like I'll be using some thing else.

Thanks.

Yeah, use T6 5w40 that's not gas rated as it's CK4 LOL!

Just use DELO XLE 10w30 that's CK4/SN

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about the CK-4 T5/T6 but the ck-4 15w-40 Rotella is nearly the same oil as the old CJ-4 formula. The ck-4/sn DELO and Delvac oils are significantly different with much lower zinc/phosphorus levels.

Last edited:
Straight from Shell:

OEM Specifications and Approvals for Shell ROTELLA® T6 full synthetic heavy duty engine oil API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4 ACEA E9; JASO DH-2; Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

JASO MA/MA2 is motorcycle of which 99% are gasoline around the world.

The Allison rating is for HD equipment with mixed sump applications, wet clutches, wet brakes.

This is a good oil
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back