Worst car in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1966 Dodge Dart with 273 power pac,front disk brakes, four on the floor. Sorriest pos that every rolled out of Hamtramck. Monkeys could have done a better job building that @#*&^%%&(*&.

Ladas might be likened to the AK47 rifle. Designed to be operated and maintained by poorly trained users.
The AK47 is a pretty awful piece of kit compared with NATO issue guns, but NATO soldiers are highly trained and are taught from day one to look after their gun like their lives depend on it. An AK47 will work after it has laid in a swamp for a week. It won't work well but it will work.
Similarly, a Lada can be kept going by a poorly trained mechanic with rudimentary tools. A modern car is heaps better but needs proper skilled maintenance.
Btw, I believe Lada is the worlds #8 car maker in terms of volume.

Claud.

All the air cooled VWs excep Karman Ghia. I have driven the beetle, bus, vanagon there is absolutely redeeming about these cars. All miserably cold and excessively noisy.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
All the air cooled VWs excep Karman Ghia. I have driven the beetle, bus, vanagon there is absolutely redeeming about these cars. All miserably cold and excessively noisy.

That's probably why they were a total sales failure, right?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

That's probably why they were a total sales failure, right?

Spot on...and you can add ill-handling and poor-braking. They did nothing well except "cute".

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Loud, uncomfortable, freeze your *** off

Add "can't see a thing" and it sounds just like the Lamborghini Countach I once got a ride in
wink.gif

All American, British, Italian, French, German, Spanish, Swedish, Polish, Czech, Russian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Pakistani, Austrian , Argentinian, Algerian, Bulgarian, Canadian , Croatian, Danish, Kenyan, Mexican, Serbian, South African, Swiss, Turkish and Australian cars.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Nissan Versa

They are pretty base model equipped, but I don't think they are bad cars.

Now, a Dodge Neon, is a terrible car. Transmissions and head gaskets that lasted 30K miles if you were lucky. Major rot issues. Never see them on the road any more because they all died before 100K.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
All American, British, Italian, French, German, Spanish, Swedish, Polish, Czech, Russian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Pakistani, Austrian , Argentinian, Algerian, Bulgarian, Canadian , Croatian, Danish, Kenyan, Mexican, Serbian, South African, Swiss, Turkish and Australian cars.

Minerva's were da bomb then!

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver

Tsk, tsk tsk,

you forgot these had "Children", AKA licensed (or not, just plain stealing) production in many unknown nations.....

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
IMHO one of these 3 :
CityRover - so bad they would not let TopGear test drive it.
Austin Alegro - summed up everything bad about the British motor industry.
SsangYong Rodius - so ugly.

One of the British classic car magazines some years ago mentioned the Austin Alegro. They called it the "All Aggro."

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
IMHO one of these 3 :
CityRover - so bad they would not let TopGear test drive it.
Austin Alegro - summed up everything bad about the British motor industry.
SsangYong Rodius - so ugly.

One of the British classic car magazines some years ago mentioned the Austin Alegro. They called it the "All Aggro."

But BL managed to shift about 650,000 of them. Compared with its contemporaries also made in Britain it wasn't so dreadful. It was dreadful, but not much more or less than other cars, and European makes weren't that wonderful either.

Claud.

The Alegro was just an update of the ADO16 - it got gas diaphrams in the hydrolastics, a radiator in the front with an electric fan...and a hideous new body. But it was still the ADO16. The 1800 got a similar treatment to become the Princess...making an ugly car even worse. New skin for old designs.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The Lada ...

My mother drove one for five years, and the Lada Niva 4x4 before that.

Yes, they were outdated from new but inexpensive, mostly reliable, easy to service and a far better option than walking.

It a shame the reviewer of the Hoffman is such a moron.

My Lada saloon was the best 40 quid I ever spent.

I drove mine in the Scottish Highlands on rough tracks quite a lot, where its ruggedness was an asset.

In the 4-5 (can't remember exactly) years of ownership it needed some body rust bodged, a replacement rear wheel brake cylinder, new ignition leads, and a piece of steel pipe inserted in an exhaust fracture.

It also suffered a water pump failure which destroyed a radiator, but that was my fault.

Main drawback from my perspective was fairly heavy fuel consumption at around 30 mpg.

Originally Posted By: 555
Gotta love the dirt/off road segment of the video.
How about we make it a law that if you're apprehended texting and driving you have to drive one of these for a month. Required amount of miles too. Convicted drivers will probably emerge as better drivers after piloting one of these for a month!

You might have to re-open an assembly line.

Dunno how many Moskvich are left in the home country but there were only 10 registered in the UK in 2016, (50 Lada Riva) and there are quite a lot of texters.

Originally Posted By: Silk
The Alegro was just an update of the ADO16 - it got gas diaphrams in the hydrolastics, a radiator in the front with an electric fan...and a hideous new body. But it was still the ADO16. The 1800 got a similar treatment to become the Princess...making an ugly car even worse. New skin for old designs.

Neither were simply reskins. They shared engines and transmissions, but nothing else was interchangeable.
More like the difference between the mark 2 and mark 3 Cortinas.

Claud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back