BEWARE: Toyota OEM YZZ filters undersized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an observation:

Mobil lists M1-103A for my car. I just found out that this is the undersized oil filter version.

The original Toyota part no. is 15601-13011. However, in USA, this is replaced by the made-in-Thailand oil filter 90915-YZZF2.

It turns out M1-102A is the part for the original Toyota OEM filter and M1-103A is for the undersized made-in-Thailand Toyota OEM YZZ filter.

Fram lists the correct part no. (PH2951, TG2951, and XG2951) for the original OEM filter. So, they are good. They also have a good cross-reference table.

You might want to double-check things if you don't want to install the undersized filter.

You can find the OEM part nos. here:

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/

This also makes me think if Toyota cares about oil filters, as their filter media has poor efficiency and they sell undersized made-in-Thailand OEM filters.

Surely Toyota can be trusted to have made the right engineering decisions for your car based on their expansive knowledge...after all they made TGMO, didn't they.

Surely they understand how to filter it...

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
This also makes me think if Toyota cares about oil filters, as their filter media has poor efficiency and they sell undersized made-in-Thailand OEM filters.

This must be why Toyotas have such a lousy reputation for durability.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

This must be why Toyotas have such a lousy reputation for durability.

What? Oh, a troll.

what a horrible filter!!!
grin.gif

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3735166/1

Just an observation:

Mobil lists M1-103A for my car. I just found out that this is the undersized oil filter version.

The original Toyota part no. is 15601-13011. However, in USA, this is replaced by the made-in-Thailand oil filter 90915-YZZF2.

It turns out M1-102A is the part for the original Toyota OEM filter and M1-103A is for the undersized made-in-Thailand Toyota OEM YZZ filter.

Fram lists the correct part no. (PH2951, TG2951, and XG2951) for the original OEM filter. So, they are good. They also have a good cross-reference table.

You might want to double-check things if you don't want to install the undersized filter.

You can find the OEM part nos. here:

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/

The Puro number for the larger filter used on the 2002 and later 4 cylinder and back specified for the older 4 cylinder cars is PL 14477. What's all the fuss? Toyota came up with a larger filter spec for the later 4 cylinders and suggests it be used on the earlier cars. I've used the 14477 for years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Surely Toyota can be trusted to have made the right engineering decisions for your car based on their expansive knowledge...after all they made TGMO, didn't they.

Surely they understand how to filter it...
+1

Can you fit an FL1A on there?
laugh.gif

(Seriously, a 3600 usually fits. Look up a filter for a 95 taurus)

I had oiling problems with Thai Denso Toyota service parts. Ended up purchasing the original Toyota/Lexus foam core Made in Japon DENSO to restore proper performance. That's on 2 cars: Rav 4 and Yaris. When I couldn't get a 90915-10004 or -10003 I used a Champ with great success. The Wix ALMOST worked but not quite right.

You think TOYODA QA is sample checking DENSO Thai filter paper for efficacy? I guarantee they are NOT.

I just don't understand how I've made it this far on the grossly undersized Toyota OEM filters that also apparently don't protect my engines. Thanks for the warning though, I must have dodged a bullet.

Just an observation: Mobil lists M1-103A for my car.

Posting rant failure, like most of your posts around here. If Mobil says that the M1-103A is the correct filter for your car, then IT IS the correct filter for your car. How big a filter element do you actually think a Toyota engine needs anyways? A filter that size has PLENTY of filtering capacity for that engine.

I have a yzzf Thailand filter I just cut open. It was apparent it was filtering OK. Not saying it's the best, but it works fine. Not crazy about the made in Thailand thing, but the car was made in Japan so I suppose I should just shut up...lol

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

The Puro number for the larger filter used on the 2002 and later 4 cylinder and back specified for the older 4 cylinder cars is PL 14477. What's all the fuss? Toyota came up with a larger filter spec for the later 4 cylinders and suggests it be used on the earlier cars. I've used the 14477 for years.

My wife's 2004 Corolla is specced for 14476 size. I run up to 20195 size filters.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
what a horrible filter!!!
grin.gif

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3735166/1

Certainly a small filter used on a dirty engine like that could load up much faster and cause early bypass events, which wouldn't be good with that much crud caught in the filter. Using a larger filter helps increase holding capacity and keeps the delta-p down to help prevent bypassing.

With an engine that's seen regular maintenance, how do you figure this would matter?
Not much to filter out after break-in unless the engine's blowing chunks or has a failing head gasket:)
In those cases, no oil or filter will make any difference.

The question here is whether a given filter is undersized, standard-size, or oversized. Undersized means filter doesn't cover the flange. Standard-size means there is exact overlap with the flange. Oversized means the filter is larger than the flange. Of course, in any case, the gasket still needs to make full contact with the flange.

It's possible that for newer Toyotas, 90915-YZZF2 is standard-size. However, it isn't for my car, even though Toyota lists it as the Thai replacement for the original Japanese filter, as the original Japanese filter is not available in USA.

This is a short summary for my car:

Standard size:

Toyota 15601-13011
Fram (PH/TG/XG)2951
Mobil 1 M1-102(A)
Purolator (P)L22821

Undersized filter:

Toyota 90915-YZZF2
Fram (PH/TG/XG)4967
Mobil 1 M1-103(A)
Purolator (P)L14476

Oversized filter:

Many choices

http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=PH2951&CP=15601-13011

http://oilfilterdata.com/

The question here is whether a given filter is undersized, standard-size, or oversized. Undersized means filter doesn't cover the flange. Standard-size means there is exact overlap with the flange. Oversized means the filter is larger than the flange. Of course, in any case, the gasket still needs to make full contact with the flange.

There are plenty of oversized filter scenarios that have the same can diameter but have a longer can, and that's how most here think of "oversized filters". Of course, some oversized or undersized filters may also have a larger of smaller diameter, and those can also be used if they still seal correctly on the mounting base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back