This is interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: bioburner

There are alot of naive thinkers on some of the above posts. You know-it will never happen to them.....

"But the government will come in and take care of us" welfare-nanny state of mind
I don't expect others to do for me what I should have done myself.
Don't drive through high water just because I don't know of any other way either.
I used to follow a daily site posting "Darwin awards" No shortage of material

No shortage on this board either........
[/quote]

Pretty big leap you're making here. This more about absurdity and less about your survivalist agenda. Most of us get that distinction. If you wish to open a thread on that topic feel free. Some of us Nanny State Dumb-dumbs might surprise you.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I will just eat at Cracker Barrel.

Don't forget about Golden Corral either.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I always found these things rather pointless. In virtually any S.H.T.F. situation I see water being a far more valuable commodity.

Ducked's Temporary Typhoon Tankage : The water often goes off here after big typhoons because of mudslides into the reservoirs. If you don't have space for plastic dustbins / crates, and you don't have a bath to fill, you might try this.

Get a sheet of semi-rigid material that can be rolled into a tube (eg large opened-up and split cardboard box, bamboo tatami mat, foam camping/yoga/picnic mat, etc). That plastic stuff with two flat sheets with a corrugated layer in between, (airex?)(Coroplast?) that they use for signage, would probably be ideal if there's any lying (or blowing) around.

Form it into a tube, with some overlap swiss-roll stylee

Put a large bin bag inside the tube, and fold it over the top. You need a good overlap, preferably double. Obviously the dimensions of the tube and bag should be roughly compatible height -wise. If your bag is too short you might have to tie something around the bottom of the tube,and/or use two bags, one inside the tube, one outside.

Half or 3/4 fill the bag with water. The weight of the water expands the tube until its stopped by the bag overlap coming under tension. The whole thing is pretty stable, and the overlap protects the cardboard (if thats what you had to use) from spillage or rain if you use it outside. If you need a lid (don't see why you would, really), slide another bag over it.

I used this to store and collect rainwater in the Tainan post-Morakot outage. (It had to be rainwater because I hadn't prepared, duh!, and there wasn't anything else.)

(Of course typhoons are associated with high rainfall, which is handy, but won't necessarily apply to other SHTF fans situations, in some of which, the rainfall would be plutonium etc. enriched anyway.)

I've also used it as a portable wash-tub when camping/travelling.

An advantage of the flexible stabilised bag is that it can be assembled around a roof gutter downpipe. It is often impossible to get a rigid bucket under one of these without cutting the downpipe.

Also, buckets are at a premium in such troubled times, and I'm sorry to say, someone knicked mine when left under a downpipe.

Last edited:
1300 calories per day, per person, is starvation level nutrition. I burn that much during the first part of my day. Consider that during emergencies, it's likely manual labor will be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back