water in my fuel tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got water in one of my fuel tanks my F-150. I washed it down with water after I replaced the pump and the gasket wasn't sealing the pump well. I ended up buying a new gasket that fit better and now it doesn't leak. I started driving it and I thought the rear pump was defective. What I now am pretty sure is I got water in the tank. I took it out and drove and now it has about half a tank. I think I am just going to drive it until it gets down to a quarter tank and fill it back up. Its been getting better as I drive but I will know for sure if its water once I get through this tank I think. I just changed the oil this week with valvoline synpower. Should I need to change the oil after running fuel with water in it?

Last edited:
Throw a couple of bottles of HEET in it and take her for a run on the freeway.... one with lots of hills.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Throw a couple of bottles of HEET in it and take her for a run on the freeway.... one with lots of hills.

Thats basically what I did. I just didn't want to damage anything. Who knows, maybe my pistons are getting steam cleaned? The engine is now running better. It still stutters once in a while and the check engine light will go on for a few seconds and then turn off. I checked the oil. No signs of water and is still a golden color. Thats something.
I will say it sure is nice to have two gas tanks again. The front tank died about 15 years ago when my dad owned it and he never bothered to change it. I put it off until now and Im glad to have the extra range.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Fill it with E10 and it should get it out.

This, use E10 fuel, the ethanol should mix with the water and the whole thing should burn / vapourise up in the combustion process. Shouldn't take too long to clean it all out.

Ya water in fuel used to be a big thing now not so much. Should be fine and you should not need any additional meth poured in. There is one issue though. The water will mix with the alcohol but if you let that truck sit the alcohol will settle at the bottom of the tank with the water so get that running and out of there. This is how we used to do a content measurement. Add water to gas so we could measure after it separated.

Originally Posted By: Fastcompany
This is how we used to do a content measurement. Add water to gas so we could measure after it separated.

Used to do this every time I flew my little plane. Don't want no coughing or spitting when ur butt is several thou feet up!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Originally Posted By: Fastcompany
This is how we used to do a content measurement. Add water to gas so we could measure after it separated.

Used to do this every time I flew my little plane. Don't want no coughing or spitting when ur butt is several thou feet up!
grin.gif

Definitely not!

FWIW you can wash a gas tank with gas, it's a pretty sweet solvent.
01.gif

What others said, your oil is fine. Think of the water you get driving in the rain, a little free steam cleaning.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
FWIW you can wash a gas tank with gas, it's a pretty sweet solvent.
01.gif

What others said, your oil is fine. Think of the water you get driving in the rain, a little free steam cleaning.

The inside of the tank was nice and clean. I just wanted to wash the dust off that had crusted to the outside. I blew compressed air on it before and it left a lot of crud so I used a soft brush and my garden hose to to give it a once over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back