Obesity and office jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do people who work behind a computer all day long stay in shape? I mean even if you went to the gym I don't see it being enough. I guess you could stay in shape by drastically cutting down how much you eat since you don't need much just sitting there.

Opinions?

I kept my weight at 155 for the first few years I worked in an office by walking to work, managing my calorie intake, and using my lunch for additional cardio time. I even had an under desk pedal exercise to be able to peddle at my desk.

When I stopped these, I shot up to 224 rather quickly, and have been steady there ever since.

Caloric intake and good hydration are key. Drinking lots of water also assists in subsiding hunger.

For reference, I am an IT professional for a large healthcare organization.

I find waking up at 5am (work is at 8:30am) and going for a good hour run around the neighborhood does wonders not only for exercise and cardio, but actually waking up. It really helps avoid the "ahhh I'm not a zombie anymore and its 10am" feeling.

Besides that, working on cars, being active in a car group -- standing, shooting the [censored] with folks at car outings, at the local track... lots of walking around. I think that all definitely helps.

My work day fortunately has be going between three buildings on a campus where I can and choose to walk everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work on embedded software for living, so I'm mostly behind a computer desk. I'll go on a walks during lunchtime, and I run in the evenings. Can't be doing too badly, I'm 42, 130 pounds, and at the last physical, the doc says I'm in excellent health. Ran a 5K last weekend in 35 minutes.

Walk on your lunch break instead of going out to eat with coworkers. Pack a light and healthy lunch. Hit the gym after work.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
How do people who work behind a computer all day long stay in shape? I mean even if you went to the gym I don't see it being enough. I guess you could stay in shape by drastically cutting down how much you eat since you don't need much just sitting there. Opinions?

They say battle of the bulge is fought 80% at the mouth 20% at the gym.

However, it's not how much you eat but what you eat. The typical American diet, high carbs, low fat, sugar loaded and heavily processed foods is almost guaranteed to make you fat, and hungry all the time no matter what you do. Sedentary lifestyle only compounds the problem.

Here are some links:

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2017/05/no_author/eat-bacon-butter-cream-everyday/

https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Bacon-Dont-Jo...ASIN=0761180540

How do people who work behind a computer all day long stay in shape? I mean even if you went to the gym I don't see it being enough. I guess you could stay in shape by drastically cutting down how much you eat since you don't need much just sitting there.

Opinions?

Willpower. And "staying in shape" is different than not getting fat. You can avoid getting fat simply by controlling diet but that isn't enough to stay in shape which implies you had some level of fitness to begin with.

I've lost 30 pounds since I started working in IT last year without trying very hard at all.

Hardest part about weight loss isn't losing the weight but keeping it off. Most people can loss 15-20 pounds if they tried fairly easy with time and common sense.

I've always been a fairly large person in regards to high and weight. 6'2 and about 260 yes its fat but my height helped a good bit as well. About 10 years ago I lost a lot of weight and got down to 185. I relaxed my efforts and climbed to 200 which was acceptable to me.

After a torn ACL and rotator cuff I put back most of my old weight on. I'll be 60 this year and the last 5 have really shown me my age in regards to the injuries. Working a off-road dump truck is about as much of a office job for my career as it can get.

Many years of brick laying and working as a power plant millwright has really done some damage.

80% diet, 20% sports. Watch what you eat, sugary stuff (and most processed food is LOADED with sugar, even if it does not even taste sweet) tends to let your appetite run amok. There are some people lucky people that either are not affected very much or can control the urge (such as my wife), but there are others (like me) who will react to blood sugar and insuline fluctuations with HUNGER.

Then, a lot of people do not eat enough protein, which, especially when trying to loose weight, means loss of muscle tissue, which brings down metabolism. Or they do not eat enough vegetables or fruit, lack some nutrients, and then get cravings. Unfortunately, cravings are not always that efficient in telling you what to eat and can be confused by processed stuff. For example, cravings for chips can be rooted in a desire for protein or iron, as the acerbic "umami" taste is linked to meat in pour brain.

So, eat real food. Enough protein, enough fat (low fat can upset hormone production), and lots of vegetables. As most vegetables are not very calorie-dense (but rich in micronutrients), you are restricting calorie uptake automatically when you are eating huge amounts of vegetables. In some extreme cases, however, calorie counting may be necessary. At the end of the day, weight comes down to calorie balance. Eat more than you burn, you gain weight, eat less, you loose. (Diet and exercise influence, however, whether the lost/gained weight will be made up of muscke or fat.) From personal experience, I find it much easier to control calories indirectly by manipulating my appetite, than to stick to a plan that tells me "now, I don't care it's just 10am, you've already met your calorie goal for the day and from now on, your are going hungry." Takes too much willpower for me...

Now to the last 20%. Cardiovascular exercise burns energy only during exercise. Strength training increases muscle mass and thus increases energy expenditure even when resting. (No, I am not telling you to ditch cardio completely - just as your muscles, joints and ligaments need exercise to keep them from gettinmg disfynctional, the cardiovascular system also should not be neglected. But for the purpose of weight control cardio alone it is not the most efficient.) More important than what you do is that you do at least something. Something is far better than nothing, and something done regularly better than perfect done once and then never again.
But remember: you can do all the sports you want, when your diet is off, your are going nowhere. You cannot outrun your fork.

Last edited:
Opinions?

It's really not that different than any other job that requires a person to sit most of the time. For example, even though they're outside a good share of the day, folks that just mow grass for a living don't get much in the way of exercise. Sitting on a zero turn moving the levers back and forth isn't exactly considered cardio. And to top it off you often see those guys parked at the local fast food joint for lunch.

Just like anyone in any career field, it's about what you eat and how you take care of yourself. Some people choose to stay fit and eat a balanced, healthy diet, and others don't.

It is far easier for an office worker to eat healthy meals and snacks at work vs typical landscaper. That being said the meals a landscaper tends to eat make up for caolores burned.

Office workers can eat fast food and get obese of course. At the same time landscapers can pack a careful cooler of food however heating up healthy home cooked food poses challenges.

Quit eating carbs and all forms of sweetness including limiting sweet fruit. Check weekly your own fasting blood sugar and learn how to control it. Xylitol & stevia are the only sweeteners that don't excite blood sugar. Invest in, even if you have to pay for it yourself, something that enables you to stand at your desk rather than sitting. Buy a quality rebounder and use it every day, its THE best & most efficient way to exercise.

I'm not discounting what you are saying, but some people do need to be careful with protein intake. For some , protein in excess can Spike blood sugar as much as carbs and sugary things themselves.
Originally Posted By: turboseize
80% diet, 20% sports. Watch what you eat, sugary stuff (and most processed food is LOADED with sugar, even if it does not even taste sweet) tends to let your appetite run amok. There are some people lucky people that either are not affected very much or can control the urge (such as my wife), but there are others (like me) who will react to blood sugar and insuline fluctuations with HUNGER.

Then, a lot of people do not eat enough protein, which, especially when trying to loose weight, means loss of muscle tissue, which brings down metabolism. Or they do not eat enough vegetables or fruit, lack some nutrients, and then get cravings. Unfortunately, cravings are not always that efficient in telling you what to eat and can be confused by processed stuff. For example, cravings for chips can be rooted in a desire for protein or iron, as the acerbic "umami" taste is linked to meat in pour brain.

So, eat real food. Enough protein, enough fat (low fat can upset hormone production), and lots of vegetables. As most vegetables are not very calorie-dense (but rich in micronutrients), you are restricting calorie uptake automatically when you are eating huge amounts of vegetables. In some extreme cases, however, calorie counting may be necessary. At the end of the day, weight comes down to calorie balance. Eat more than you burn, you gain weight, eat less, you loose. (Diet and exercise influence, however, whether the lost/gained weight will be made up of muscke or fat.) From personal experience, I find it much easier to control calories indirectly by manipulating my appetite, than to stick to a plan that tells me "now, I don't care it's just 10am, you've already met your calorie goal for the day and from now on, your are going hungry." Takes too much willpower for me...

Now to the last 20%. Cardiovascular exercise burns energy only during exercise. Strength training increases muscle mass and thus increases energy expenditure even when resting. (No, I am not telling you to ditch cardio completely - just as your muscles, joints and ligaments need exercise to keep them from gettinmg disfynctional, the cardiovascular system also should not be neglected. But for the purpose of weight control cardio alone it is not the most efficient.) More important than what you do is that you do at least something. Something is far better than nothing, and something done regularly better than perfect done once and then never again.
But remember: you can do all the sports you want, when your diet is off, your are going nowhere. You cannot outrun your fork.

I only eat twice-daily and I stick to it like it's life or death. Gotta' have willpower for this and mentally block temptations / cravings.
I never eat 4-5 hours before bed........ more willpower / sacrifice.
I avoid desserts 100%. That means 'NO' candy, cakes, cookies, chips, ice cream, pie and soda-pop. Teach your mind to hate it.

Twice daily I do a two-mile walk at a moderate-to-brisk pace.
One mile should not take over 20min..... two mile 40min..... three miles one hour. If you can walk it faster, then do it.

Watching TV for 2-3+hrs?.... jump on a stationary bike for an hour. Who cares if you keep it in the living room?
Please yourself and if visitors say the bike should be moved elsewhere than a TV / main living room, tell them it's not a consideration.

Last edited:
Breakfast: a cup of coffee and 2 bananas
Lunch: Usually a salad
Dinner: Something light, can't be a big meal

Someone mentioned drinking lots of water to kill hunger, thats what I do.

A lot of it has to do with what/when you eat. I have friends who basically eat large meals once or twice a day. It slows down their metabolism and they have gained a significant amount of weight. If you eat once a day, your body goes into basically starvation mode, and slows things way down so you burn less.

It is a balance. I work in IT at a desk, but do walk around a lot and travel between sites. I hit the gym every day (usually lifting, not really much cardio) during the week, and I'm always outdoors or busy on the weekends. I eat multiple smaller meals a day to keep the metabolism going. Keeping your metabolism going is what helps burn calories. Match your intake with what you can burn.

I don't drink alcohol, and rarely have soda. I'm 5'10 and weigh 148.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back