Is There Any Real Difference in Belts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Napa, Dayco, Gates, Bando, etc all about the same? I notice my Toyota OEM are Mistsuboshi and Bando.

I think the quietest longest lasting are the Continental/Contitech which used to be Goodyear Gatorbacks. Worth looking for.

Some belts are slightly longer than the OE belt. Some belts stretch a bit more after installation and require re-tensioning. Aftermarket belts rarely have the same fabric-like material on the non-grooved side of the belt.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
I think the quietest longest lasting are the Continental/Contitech which used to be Goodyear Gatorbacks. Worth looking for.

My contitech timing belt was cracking at 86k and 7 yrs as a Honda replacement.. I had a gates put in as a replacement. My 01 civic calls for 7 yrs or 110k/

The serpentine belts from Napa are expensive (~$30) but last a VERY long time. I have one on a 5.0 that's got about 170,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
All your questions answered:
Yes.
No.
It's "Mitsubishi".

Naw, it really is Mitsuboshi.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
As long as they are epdm material they are fine. The natural rubber cheap ones dont last long at all.

Yep as long as it's a EPDM belt it should last 100k. I have not seen a non EPDM belt in a long time. I am sure there are some old ones out there. So just make sure it's not old and you should be fine.

All the major players are good but as critic said its about fit some are not quite on the money. stay away from their second tier offerings like Drive works (Dayco) the quality drops off noticeably.
Bando and Mitsuboshi (not Mitsubishi) are my favorite belts for Asian cars, the Dayco W belt and ACDelco fits German and US cars well, NAPA, Conti and Gates are good belts but the sizing seems to be all over the place.
Kind of a blanket statement but they seem to either fit perfectly or are an absolute bugger to get on or a little loose depending on the make and model.
Just my personal experience.

Originally Posted By: Trav
All the major players are good but as critic said its about fit some are not quite on the money. stay away from their second tier offerings like Drive works (Dayco) the quality drops off noticeably.
Bando and Mitsuboshi (not Mitsubishi) are my favorite belts for Asian cars, the Dayco W belt and ACDelco fits German and US cars well, NAPA, Conti and Gates are good belts but the sizing seems to be all over the place.
Kind of a blanket statement but they seem to either fit perfectly or are an absolute bugger to get on or a little loose depending on the make and model.
Just my personal experience.

From my DIY experience on quite a few Toyota, Lexus, Honda and Acura vehicles, Mitsuboshi & Bando >>> Dayco & Gates. Gates TB's were stiff and noisy and, as Trav said, Gates and Dayco accessory belts never seem to fit right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

It's "Mitsubishi".

Mitsubishi do have their own branded belts, but Mitsuboshi are more common.

Trav,just checked out Toyota OEM and they are made by bando and Mitsubishi.
LOL

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Trav,just checked out Toyota OEM and they are made by bando and Mitsubishi.
LOL

Spell check got me...Mitsuboshi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back