CAFE conspiracy nonsense disproved (RIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Question: Would there be 0-20 recommendations if there was no CAFE?
Answer: No

Or 10W-40, 15W-40, 10W-30, or 5W-30. Or Synthetic oil for that matter...

Quote:
That's not a conspiracy, that's just responding to the regulatory environment in which the OEM's operate.

Use of the word "conspiracy" here is disinginous on multiple levels. It is sensationalist on purpose of course but its use is also meant to snidely link to contemporary progressive doggerel such as trying to equate reasoned scientific skepticism with "climate change deniers" in order to shout them into silence. Note for the weaker minded: nobody denies that climate changes.

Except many critics actually say it's a "conspiracy"...

Quote:
There are many these days with college degrees. Relatively few are engineering degrees (I don't have one). And it seems that those who would use snark and snide to shout people down don't have one either but got at least a minor in rhetoric and/or social studies. With Summer School in groupthink and slogans.

Let's try to keep the verbal games and drama to a minimum. If that sounds condescending in print, it isn't, it's just weariness with overblown, (under)overeducated bullies. Rant ends. Whew. Back to chasing kids out of the rose garden for me.....

Tell them to get off your lawn!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
What is all forgotten in this thread is that a conventional 5W-30 shears to same viscosity as a 0W-20 after less than 1,000 miles.

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't...

Originally Posted By: SR5

What this tells me is that I should avoid conventional 5W30 and conventional 10W40, as these oils are being pushed too hard to meet modern API SN spec, and they are borderline oils. However if I want a conventional 30 or 40 grade oil, then I can easily buy numerous 10W30 or 15W40 mineral oils. Beyond that (lower W spec) you are in semi-synthetic or full synthetic territory.

I can't speak for Australia, but I doubt any "conventional oils" couldn't be marketed as "semi-synthetic" in the U.S. at this point. Certainly any of the weights between 5W-20 to 15W-40...

Many of the least expensive oils that were once conventional are branded as semi-synthetics, like Motorcraft and TropArc...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
And there are certainly 20s the don't stay in grade...which has been willfully overlooked by the proponents.

To be fair, it seems pretty rare for a modern XW-20 to sheer much unless we're talking fuel dilution...

Ok il bite, , viscosity only mather at start .detroit diesel v engine paper said this .cummins 2016 says this .cummins recommendation ?
It can be 5w30 ,10w30 or 15 w40 .under no circumstance should we put 0w30 .my nissan ask for 5w30
By the way why Cummins refuse 0w30 you might ask ? Fuel dilution .if Cummins says this and they also suggest Valvoline by the way
I think I ll give Cummins the benefit of the doubt (million mile and all that)

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
What is all forgotten in this thread is that a conventional 5W-30 shears to same viscosity as a 0W-20 after less than 1,000 miles.

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't...

It sure didn't in my old Jeep 4.0...VWB 5w30 for 6000 miles, UOA said it stayed in grade.

if you lease a 0/20 spec'd for round town and back & forth to work in a cubical, absolutely.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

I can't speak for Australia, but I doubt any "conventional oils" couldn't be marketed as "semi-synthetic" in the U.S. at this point. Certainly any of the weights between 5W-20 to 15W-40...

Many of the least expensive oils that were once conventional are branded as semi-synthetics, like Motorcraft and TropArc...

Yes point taken, many modern "conventional" oils are probably semi-synthetic.

Not to mention that ISIS is a big user of that truck - and they never know what oil the next village will have for free ...
wink.gif

(Toyota gave them great latitude)

Originally Posted By: Kuato
It sure didn't in my old Jeep 4.0...VWB 5w30 for 6000 miles, UOA said it stayed in grade.

Could it have thinned then thickened as it oxidized?

I also thought that a high Noack (14.4% per PQIA for VWB 5w30), means that the lighter fractions of the base oil will evaporate.

Just to repeat, I am still not feeding the troll.

Even if the troll says something outrageously silly, I don't react because that's the same as tossing him a cookie.

Originally Posted By: turboseize
Originally Posted By: turboseize

Show me just a single 5w-30 with MB 229.5 approval that does.

Show me just a single conventional 5W-30 with MB 229.5 approval.

Most of them. There are some synthetics, but most aren't. Grp III and a nice add pack is enough to reach 229.5...

Conventional oil means an oil made of Group II+ or lower. Group III or higher is synthetic.

German courts see that a bit differently.
cool.gif

Anyways, any oil with meaningful european manufacturer approvals should not shear out of grade. (Fuel dilution may sink viscosity, but that is not shearing.) Maybe there are some [censored] oils available in Northern America that do, but then who buys them and why?

Last edited:
Conventional oil means an oil made of Group II+ or lower. Group III or higher is synthetic.

But isn't the following true ???

“Synthetic” is a marketing term, not a technical term.

It's time to put an end to this CAFE conspiracy nonsense for good. It's as if the car manufacturers don't know anything about how to recommend oil or don't care if the cars break down during the warranty period because of improper viscosity grade. Perhaps the biggest falsehood that is used to support this conspiracy nonsense is the claim that USA is the only country that recommends thin oil for the same car, for which the rest of the world recommends thick oil. Like any nonsense conspiracy theory, this could be disproved with some real evidence.

So why does Subaru Japan recommend ACEA A3/B4 0W30 and 5W40 in the BRZ?

https://www.subaru.jp/accessory/engine_oil/engine_oil/premiumoil01.html

https://www.subaru.jp/accessory/engine_oil/engine_oil/premiumoil02.html

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Trav
Try this one from your Turkish manuals, you want to cherry pick then here you go. We can do this all day and it proves nothing either way so give it a rest already.
You tried to prove xw20 was better than xw40.
33.gif
You want to run xw20w then have at it but stop trying to prove something that is only true in your mind.

Dittos. I keep wondering why he worries about what other posters pour into their crankcases? BTW, Is he a Toyota salesman?

I mentioned in a previous thread that if he participated in a blind test study of different weights of oil, he would not be able to tell the difference. Also, if 0w-20 makes driving fun again, why not run 0w-16 or 12 weight? Those should be even more excitement as according to him, more of something ( or less in this case) is better.

You know how environmental activists are. You MUST agree with them, or be sent off to re-education camps.....same old story as old as history.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Obviously there is no end to this situation until we're all dead and gone
laugh.gif

It ended years ago with me when I switched to 0-20. Haven't looked back since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back