Best time to twist off/on filter--when engine cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started this thread more because I was worried about the filter actually falling off at 60 MPH, than I was about a leak.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Put a filter wrench on it and give it a 1/4 turn if you're in doubt. You'll know if it's tight or not.

Good plan, the filter will turn easier if warm.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Put a filter wrench on it and give it a 1/4 turn if you're in doubt. You'll know if it's tight or not.

Good plan, the filter will turn easier if warm.

It will, but either way a 1/4 turn tighter will tell if there's going to be a problem or not. Then a correction, a little tighter if needed can easily be done. In any event I wouldn't loosen it.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
OK, let's talk about this. You have a gasket designed for single use. If you tighten it, then take it off, and then put it back on you've now used it twice.

Your turn.

Easy. I have proven it works without fail - many, many times.

You just have never bothered to try, and are simply "assuming the worst" - which doesn't actually happen in reality.

Well, metal to metal gaskets are sometimes 'one shot' as they 'coin' when seating - but a resilient seal like an oil filter has can handle a couple make ups ...

Originally Posted By: paulri

Always lube the gasket before putting it on.

No need to remove and replace, you are MORE likely to get a leak when doing that. Just see if you can tighten it a bit by hand, and then check it every few days to make sure it isn't leaking.

I just went out, and this time I went down from the top of the engine (putting it on, I went up from below). Anyways, I couldn't tighten it at all, so I think that means I'm good to go.

So far, there has been no leaking at all (a first, I'm attributing this to the fact that I used a new actual crush washer, with rubber and aluminum), from the time I first put on the filter.

You lost me there - this is the first time you've not had a leak from the oil filter the first time? (not the drain plug) And the oil filter has a crush washer? I've never seen such a thing. Everyone in this thread has been assuming you are speaking of the oil filter, not the drain plug.

The crush washer part has nothing to do with the issue I was talking about in the OP--it just explained why I think there is no leak, period---from the drain plug.

Originally Posted By: deanm11

You lost me there - this is the first time you've not had a leak from the oil filter the first time? (not the drain plug) And the oil filter has a crush washer? I've never seen such a thing. Everyone in this thread has been assuming you are speaking of the oil filter, not the drain plug.

Hand-tight is almost always good, as long as you put some oil on the gasket.

A little trick I've developed to help keep it from getting OVER tight when I put it on by hand. I hold it from the ends, using only my fingers, and not my palm. Then, gripping it as tight as I can with only the contact and strength my fingers can provide, I tighten it as tightly as I can.

Once I get it on as tight as I can that way, I'll grab it with my entire hand and give it the tiniest little tweak of a turn, just to get a feel for how tight it is.. Never had one fail this way.

Now, if I really grip it hard with my entire hand an muscle it down, it can end up being tough to remove after 7,500 miles.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
OK, let's talk about this. You have a gasket designed for single use. If you tighten it, then take it off, and then put it back on you've now used it twice.

Your turn.

Easy. I have proven it works without fail - many, many times.

You just have never bothered to try, and are simply "assuming the worst" - which doesn't actually happen in reality.

In my job, I manage risk daily. Apologies if taking the more conservative path bothers you. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this; while it certainly may be fine 99% of the time, the one time it fails will leave someone stranded with a possibly blown engine. That situation is no big deal in a city or suburban area, but could spell death for someone traveling the highways out West.

I'll stick with tightening the filter a bit more, rather then removing and then installing it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back